Bottom teams beat

Gaels within striking distance of division’s top clubs

The Gaels are back to their winning ways after a perfect weekend record.

On Friday, Queen’s pulled out a 63-60 win against the Laurentian Voyageurs and then went on to defeat the Algoma Thunderbirds 54-35 on Saturday.

Against Laurentian (3-11), the Gaels (9-5) were down 13 points at one moment in the final minutes of the third quarter, but went on a 13-0 run to tie up the game heading into the fourth. Wing Jenny Wright and guard Emily Hazlett spearheaded the run.

Head coach Dave Wilson believed his team still struggled.

“It wasn’t by any means our best performance,” Wilson said. “We struggled with our ball handling and our shooting was so-so, but at the same time we showed determination and resolve.”

Wright had a season-high 27 points, going 4-7 from beyond the three-point line. The only other player to score in double digits was guard Liz Boag who finished with 13 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals.

The Algoma Thunderbirds (0-14) are a new addition to the CIS and are in their first season. The Gaels handily beat the Thunderbirds on the road, holding them to single digits in the first three quarters. In the second quarter, the Thunderbirds went scoreless for 6:13 before Courtney White made one of two free throws.

The Thunderbirds shot 26 per cent from the field and committed 29 turnovers.

For the second consecutive game, both Boag and Wright were the only Gaels to score in double digits, netting 15 and 16, respectively.

Wing Gemma Bullard didn’t play these games due to a minor shoulder injury, and her status is currently unclear for this coming weekend.

The Gaels will continue their road trip this weekend against the Carleton Ravens (10-3) and the Ottawa Gee-Gees (9-4), the only two teams ahead of them in the OUA East.

Algoma, Gaels, Laurentian, Wilson, women's basketball