Murderer briefly escapes

Cale Presnail gone for two days before being recaptured

Cale Presnail was convicted of second-degree murder in 1998.
Image by: Supplied

A man serving a life sentence for murder went missing for two days from Collins Bay Institution.

Cale David Presnail, 40, escaped from Collins Bay’s minimum security facility on May 19, between 5 and 9 p.m.

He was recaptured by Kingston Police Force (KPF) uniformed officers and the Provinicial Repeat Offenders Parole Enforcement squad on May 21 at around 9 a.m.

“A member of the public contacted us in the morning just saying a male was hanging around or loitering around the City Park area for a couple of hours, felt it was a little suspicious and also felt it might match the descriptors of Mr. Presnail,” said Steve Koopman, KPF media relations officer.

Presnail was convicted in 1998 for second-degree murder after killing a bus driver in Hamilton. He was sentenced to life in prison with no parole eligibility for 10 years.

“CSC evaluates all offenders and places them in facilities appropriate to their security and program requirements,” Kyle Lawlor, Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) media relations and outreach advisor, said in an email to the Journal.

“Only those offenders who are assessed as having a low risk to public safety will be placed in a minimum security institution,” he added.

“The perimeter of a minimum-security institution is defined but not directly controlled. Offender movement and association within the institution are regulated under minimal supervision.”

Presnail has been charged with escaping lawful custody and will appear in court in June.

crime