Clean sheets maintain spotless record

Women’s soccer shuts out both Laurentian and Nipissing to move to 3-0

Behind the play of keeper Madison Tyrell, women’s soccer kept their perfect record intact.

The Gaels (3-0) blanked a pair of northern Ontario schools over the weekend at home, topping the Laurentian Voyageurs (1-2-1) 3-0 on Saturday before recording a 2-0 win against the Nipissing Lakers (2-1-1).

Queen’s defence was bolstered by the play of Tyrell, who stopped all 14 shots she saw over the two games.

The Gaels defence has been perfect so far, shutting out the opposition in all three of their wins.

Tyrell hasn’t been tested often on the field, head coach Dave McDowell said, but she’s stood tall when she had to make saves.

“We’re very pleased with what she’s doing so far,” he said. “I thought the girls in front of her did a great job and then when asked to do anything she was more than capable.”

The match with Laurentian marked the women’s side’s first appearance at Miklas-McCarney Field since its renaming. Neither team got on the board at West Campus until the 38th minute, when Gaels rookie Tianna Lombardo converted a penalty kick opportunity.

In the second half, striker Rachel Radu tallied her first of the campaign in the 55th minute to put the Gaels up 2-0. Fifteen minutes later, striker Jackie Tessier sealed the victory, scoring off a pass from first-year defender Matija Skoko.

Queen’s took on Nipissing the next day at Tindall Field, a reason why McDowell thought the weekend was difficult for the squad.

“[We] looked a little tired,” he said. “Our second game in two days and playing on Tindall, playing on a different surface.”

On Sunday, striker Tara Bartram opened the scoring in the 20th minute. The Gaels weren’t able to score for the remainder of the half.

Lombardo struck for her second goal of the weekend in the 50th minute. The tallies were her first in a Queen’s uniform.

McDowell was impressed with the first-year’s performance through her first three games with the Gaels.

“She’s fit in well. She’s acclimatizing herself to the speed of play at this level and has done a good job,” he said. “It’s obviously helped us immediately.”

McDowell said the team had to improve on their finishing, but he was happy with his team’s performance over the weekend.

“Overall, I think if you take six points and score a number of goals, you’ve done pretty well against two good teams,” he said. “I think it was good to see a couple of different teams.”

The Gaels next head into action this weekend when they travel to take on the Trent Excalibur (0-3) on Saturday before hosting the UOIT Ridgebacks (2-0-1) Sunday afternoon.

Gaels, Laurentian, McDowell, Nipissing, Women's soccer