Lions demolished in Homecoming win

Top-notch performances spur 47-point victory

While running back Jesse Andrews was ruled out of bounds on this play
Image by: Arwin Chan

The Gaels salvaged some pride out of a frustrating season on Saturday, crushing the visiting York Lions 57-10.

In front of a sold out Homecoming crowd of 8,151, Queen’s dominated from start to finish as they rolled up 584 yards of total offence against the hapless Lions en route to the victory. The Gaels’ defence was equally impressive, racking up eight sacks and two turnovers.

Queen’s has now won two straight games after losing five consecutively at the season’s start. With the Gaels officially eliminated from the playoffs, Saturday marked the final game of the year at Richardson Stadium.

“There were a lot of men that stepped up this year and the guys that are in our locker room are the people that I’d want to go to war with, because we stuck around for the hard part,” said fifth-year quarterback Billy McPhee. “This is the best way we could have gone out, in front of a huge crowd, playing with your best friends and your brothers.”

The Gaels scored on an explosive play on just their fourth play from scrimmage, as McPhee found fifth-year receiver Alex Carroll on an 84-yard touchdown catch-and-run. Carroll caught the ball around his own 50-yard line and outran every defender into the end zone.

The touchdown kickstarted an outstanding game for Carroll, who racked up 209 yards on seven receptions.

The Lions had a chance to respond a few minutes later but a 45-yard field goal attempt from Nick Naylor fell way short, handing the Gaels great field position. Running back Jesse Andrews took advantage of the short field, with an outstanding 23-yard cutback run, which was followed by a three-yard touchdown run.

After an interception by Gaels defensive back Matt Pendergast, Queen’s added to their lead with a 10 yard field goal from Dillon Wamsley. The Gaels led 17-0 after a near-perfect first quarter in which they outgained the Lions 259 yards to 23.

The Lions’ offence embarked on a 75-yard touchdown drive to start the second quarter – their first touchdown of the season.

York’s positive momentum didn’t last very long, as Queen’s Aaron Dowd blocked a punt on their next drive. Andrews scored his second touchdown of the day two plays later.

Carroll scored his second touchdown of the game later in the quarter and tacked on another score before halftime. Queen’s led 43-7 at the break.

“For the few fifth-year guys we have, it’s been a trying year obviously, but we were trying to end our careers with a bang. We just wanted to perform and put a show on for the fans,” Carroll said. “The offensive line played tremendous, Billy stayed off the ground and he was able to throw strikes to the receivers.”

The Gaels’ defensive line continued to smother the Lions’ offence in the second half, getting to the quarterback on numerous occasions and forcing two-and-outs.

After McPhee was taken out of his final home game in the fourth quarter, backup pivot Nate Hobbs led the Gaels to six more points.

“We have a lot of good guys on the team like Billy McPhee, Alex Carroll and [fifth-year defensive lineman] Derek Wiggan and it was important for them walk off with a win here,” said Gaels head coach Pat Sheahan. “I’m sure it’s something that they’re always going to remember.”

The Gaels will finish their season on the road next Saturday against the Carleton Ravens (4-3), with a chance to play spoiler against the upstart Ravens.

Carroll, Football, Gaels, McPhee, Sheahan, York