Queen’s selects Schulich recipients

St. Lawrence College Certificate Program

Queen's Certificate in Law

Two future Queen’s students, Elise Hewat of Kaslo, B.C., and Tayyaba Ashfaq Bhatti of Saskatoon, SK, have been selected as recipients of the 2014 Schulich Leader Scholarship.

The Schulich Scholarship is associated with 20 Canadian universities, which each select two secondary students who plan to pursue science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) to receive the award, for a total of 40 recipients in Canada.

The scholarship is given to individuals who exemplify at least two of the following criteria: outstanding community, business or entrepreneurial leadership, academic excellence or financial need. It was created to encourage youth to embrace STEM disciplines in their future careers.

Recipients pursuing science, technology or mathematics will receive $60,000 and those pursuing engineering will receive $80,000.

The scholarship is also associated with five Israeli institutions because of the belief of its founder, Seymour Schulich, that Canada and Israel’s shared future is dependent on leadership in STEM fields.

Tags: