Third straight win closes out disappointing season

Football knocks Carleton from post-season in campaign’s final game

The Gaels played spoiler against the Carleton Ravens in their final game of the 2014 season.

Queen’s ensured the upstart Ravens (4-4) would have to watch the OUA playoffs on TV, defeating Carleton 37-15 in Ottawa on Saturday. The Gaels missed the post-season for the first time since 2005 —when they posted an identical 3-5 record — but closed out the year with three consecutive victories.

Gaels head coach Pat Sheahan said his club stepped up on Saturday despite missing a few key players to injury, including receiver Doug Corby.

“I was very pleased with our team’s effort,” Sheahan said. “We were going into a big football game against a very motivated team in a year where we really didn’t need any more injuries. But the guys rallied and the key senior guys who had to play well played well, along with some younger guys who really stepped up and gave a great effort.”

Third-year running back Jesse Andrews had a fantastic day against the Ravens, rushing for 221 yards on 30 carries, while fifth-year receiver Alex Carroll finished with over 100 yards receiving for the fourth straight game. Carroll caught six passes for 109 yards and a touchdown to round out his Queen’s career.

Leading 8-3 midway through the second quarter, the Gaels got a huge boost from their defence when fifth-year defensive tackle Derek Wiggan scored off a 20-yard fumble recovery. It was the first touchdown of Wiggan’s CIS career, in his final game as a Gael.

Queen’s added a crucial touchdown just before the end of the half, when fifth-year quarterback Billy McPhee found receiver Curtis Carmichael for a 10-yard score. McPhee threw for 130 yards and two touchdowns in his final CIS game.

The Gaels led 22-3 at the interval, after scoring 19 unanswered points in the final 16 minutes of the first half.

Carleton’s defence stepped up huge after the intermission, forcing two two-and-outs, one interception and a safety in the third quarter. The Gaels defence was just as stout, shutting out the Carleton offence with a timely red zone interception from defensive back Jason Shamatutu.

Up 22-8 with 12 minutes to go, the Gaels put the game away with a 19-yard touchdown pass from McPhee to Carroll.

McPhee finished the year with 17 passing touchdowns, tops in the OUA, while his favourite target, Carroll, finished with eight receiving touchdowns, also best in the league.

Gaels veteran fullback Justin Gleben scored the final touchdown of the Gaels’ season later in the quarter, punching the ball in from one yard out.

“We just outplayed them and I don’t think there was any question in anybody’s mind after the game who the better team was on Saturday,” Sheahan said.

By winning three games to close out the season, Queen’s finished eighth in the 11-team OUA – two spots out of the playoffs. The Laurier Golden Hawks (4-4) edged Carleton for the final post-season spot by virtue of a tiebreaker.

Carleton, Football, Gaels, Sheahan