QPop hosts Hollerado

Band performs at The Underground with Lost Cousins, The Attic Kids

Hollerado’s lead singer
Image by: Chloe Sobel
Hollerado’s lead singer

Drinks, friends and an effervescent atmosphere made for a carefree night of music at The Underground last Friday.

Headlining band Hollerado, along with Lost Cousins and The Attic Kids, took the stage to put on a performance for a crowd of over 100 at the campus nightclub.

The event was presented by AMS music initiative QPop, in collaboration with The Underground, as a way to emphasize the presence of student, community and Canadian talent on campus.

“After the success of the first QPop series or shows [in October], we felt that it was a brand that students could connect with,” Alex Marshall, AMS hospitality and safety services director, told the Journal via email. “We then decided it would be best to use that platform for future live performances.”

The Attic Kids — a student band comprised of Nick Castel and Fred Kwon, both ArtSci ’16; Adam Noble-Marks, Sci ’16; and Kyle O’Shaunessey, Sci ’17 — opened the show with their indie-rock tunes.

They pumped up the fast-trickling crowd by talking to them about their excitement to perform with the other bands and performing their music passionately.

The student-based band played songs from their EP Where We Belong, such as fun tune “How Do We All” to start off and “Drifters”, a laid-back tune with calming lyrics.

Next up was Queen’s favourite, Lost Cousins, who consist of Dylan Cantlon-Hay, Sci ’15; Cam Duffin, ArtSci ’15; Lloyd McArton, ConEd ’14; Thomas Dashney, CompSci ’15 and Murray Spencer.

The band played to a bigger crowd that they knew how to perform to, and pumped everyone up for the band of the night, Hollerado.

Lost Cousins, a household band on campus, brought their cool indie-rock sound like “Drift” and the alternative-sounding “Elegy”.

The band was energetic, and seemed less like a warm-up for the headlining band than a singular show in itself.

Beatrice Li, ArtSci ’17, said that Lost Cousins had an easy-going vibe.

“The band that played before Hollerado, Lost Cousins, had more of a hammock-chilling vibe,” Li said.

When the Ottawa-based musicians of Hollerado came on stage, the audience was visibly excited to hear them play, and the band — consisting of Menno Versteeg, Dean Baxter, Nixon Boyd and Jake Boyd — didn’t disappoint.

They started off with their hit song “Pick Me Up” off of their last album White Paint, which was a strong start to the show — the atmosphere changed rapidly from laid-back to lively.

Next, they performed “On My Own”, a fun, more upbeat song with catchy lyrics and solid harmonies.

They then played “Juliette”, arguably one of their most popular songs. The song evoked a sense of nostalgia, which was fitting considering the song was a homage to their first album Record In The Bag.

Li said that Hollerado was conversational with the audience and amped up the crowd.

“They were really poppy and catchy, and got the crowd grooving,” she said. “They were a super interactive group. Everyone was sweaty and gross, but it was a really fun, hilarious time — even for someone who listens to hard rap, and not indie-pop.”

Hollerado went onto play tunes like “So It Goes”, a song with a catchy chorus and even catchier lyrics.

They were having fun on stage, jumping around, and talking to the crowd as they would to an old friend.

After a solid set of music, the band came back for an encore after an enthusiastic chant for one arose. They ended off with the slow-beat “Got To Lose” — a song with thought-provoking lyrics — as a strong end to a gratifying concert.

Concert