Academic Affairs Commissioner resigns

Commissioner Read Leask steps down for personal reasons

Last updated: Oct. 15 at 8:21 p.m.

AMS Academic Affairs Commissioner Read Leask submitted his letter of resignation to Sarah Letersky, vice president (university affairs), on Thursday afternoon.

A statement from Letersky, Kyle Beaudry, vice president (operations) and AMS President Kanivanan Chinniah, attributed Leask’s resignation to “personal reasons” and asked that his privacy be respected.

Since he began in his role in May 2015, Leask, ArtSci ’17, has spearheaded a project of provide a pass/fail credit for Queen’s students and acted as a representative for the AMS in the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance.

Leask also lead a revitalization project of the Academic Grievance Centre, which provides a space for students to address questions or concerns about academic issues, discipline or regulations. In an interview with The Journal in February, Leask said he applied for the role of Academic Affairs Commissioner due to his interest in student advocacy.

A hiring process to fill Leask’s role will begin within the next few days. Letersky will be assuming the duties and responsibilities of the role in the interim.

The Journal will update this article as information becomes available.

Academic Affairs, Academic Grievance Centre, AMS, resignation