Cardiac Gaels: An oral history of the 2011 Queen’s women’s hockey playoff run

Five games. Five wins. Thirteen overtimes. A title run like no other.

Women's hockey celebrates their victory in game two of the 2011 OUA finals
Women's hockey celebrates their victory in game two of the 2011 OUA finals.

A historic hockey game took place on March 2, 2011, witnessed by just 312 spectators in a university rink. The Queen’s Gaels and Guelph Gryphons clashed in a battle where six overtimes were needed to decide the winner. It was the second-longest contest in North America — the longest since a 1936 meeting between the Detroit Red Wings and the Montreal Maroons.

After playing for nearly the equivalent of three whole games, Queen’s finally prevailed, with Morgan McHaffie — a Guelph native — proving to be the overtime hero.

For the players on the Gaels roster that night, the extra ice time was both an once-in-a-lifetime moment and their fourth straight overtime contest. McHaffie’s goal was the culmination of an unbelievable game — although with four seconds left in regulation, overtime wasn’t a possibility.

In five playoff games, Queen’s had 478:42 of ice time — 78 seconds less than eight full games. They won all five in overtime and brought home a title that Queen’s hadn’t won since 1978.

See the full project here.

Oral history, women's hockey