Queen’s researcher awarded for a lifetime of advancing cancer treatment

University District

The Canadian Cancer Research Alliance (CCRA) has recognized Joseph Pater, a Queen’s researcher and founding director of National Cancer Institute of Canada (NCIC) clinical trials group, for a lifetime of advancing the treatment and understanding of cancer.

Now a professor emeritus, Dr. Pater received the Outstanding Achievements in Cancer Research award on Nov. 10 during the CCRA’s annual conference.

A Queen’s Gazette press release stated that Pater is “pleased with the recognition he recently received for his career.”

Pater became the first director of the NCIC in 1980 and led the institution for 27 years, where he played an active part in the development, execution and analysis of cancer trials. He also oversaw clinical trials involving patients worldwide.

Pater completed his residency at Queen’s in 1975, after which he joined the Departments of Medicine and Radiation Oncology.

He had previously earned a Masters degree in clinical epidemiology and biostatistics from McMaster University.