Gaels take sting out of Concordia

Third period outburst leads to four-goal win

Harrison Hendrix (#18) opened the scoring for Queen's in their rout of Concordia.
Image by: Kendra Pierroz

On a rare weekend that saw just one game played, men’s hockey came away with a 4-0 win over the Concordia Stingers.

The Friday night victory was the Gaels’ second win in a row, as they improved to 7-2 on the season.

“It’s nice to keep the win streak going,” Gaels forward Patrick McGillis said. “If we want to be one of the top teams in this league we have to win games like that.”

After a scoreless first period, the Gaels saw themselves leading just 1-0 after a goal by Harrison Hendrix, his second of the season.

Queen’s continued to control the pace of the game. McGillis then opened the floodgates with a power play marker 5:22 into the third period to double the Gaels’ lead. A pair of goals by Shawn Boudreau followed, bringing him to four on the year.

“Their goalie made a lot of huge saves, credit to him,” McGillis said of Concordia netminder Robin Billingham, who made 23 saves. “But if you keep pressuring like that, they’re going to go in. Once one goes in, the next will go in.”

Goalie Kevin Bailie registered his second shutout of the season, making 39 stops in the win. Both Bailie’s .954 save percentage and 1.44 goals against average rank first in the country.

“If he keeps doing that for the whole season, we’ll keep winning,” McGillis said.

Gaels head coach Brett Gibson agreed. 

“When you get a couple goals, Kevin’s going to keep us in it,” he said. “Once we got a couple, I knew we’d be alright.”

Gibson said he was impressed with his team’s composure while only holding onto a one-goal lead.

“At 1-0, I still wanted us to dictate the pace of the game,” he said. “We did a good job in the third period picking it up another notch. Good teams can open up games quickly and we did that tonight.”

The Gaels are in action next on Thursday night as they travel to London to face the eighth-ranked Mustangs. Following that game, Queen’s heads to Guelph to take on the Gryphons, who won the OUA championship last season.

“It’s not going to be an easy road trip, that’s for sure,” Gibson said. “But we’re playing with confidence this year. Those teams have to understand we’re coming in with a pretty good squad and hopefully we’ll have a great hockey game.”

Harrison Hendrix, Kevin Bailie, Men's hockey, Patrick McGillis