Women’s hockey falters against York

Gaels drop game 2-1 in overtime

The Gaels scored just a lone goal in Saturday’s loss.

Returning in their first game back from the winter break, women’s hockey didn’t get the easy win they may have expected.

Facing off against a York squad who’d only won twice in 13 previous contests, the Gaels mustered only a lone goal in 62 minutes of action, only to fall 2-1 in overtime.

“We have a motto of ‘no excuses, no regrets,’ so I’m not going to try to make excuses for it,” head coach Matt Holmberg said.

Clare McKellar scored the Gaels’ only goal on a penalty shot with just under five minutes remaining in the third period after Queen’s fell behind on a second-period goal by York.
In spite of the loss, Holmberg said the team had some positives to look on.

“On the bigger picture, I don’t think we played that poorly,” he said, pointing to the lone goal allowed in regulation and multiple “Grade-A” scoring chances.

York goaltender Megan Lee made 32 of 33 saves in the victory, while Queen’s goaltender picked up 26 saves on the day.

Holmberg believes York’s place in the standings doesn’t necessarily reflect their potential.

“They’ve played us real tough over the past few years,” he said, while also outlining a 1-0 loss against the first-place Guelph Gryphons last week demonstrated their strength.

It was the team’s first game in nearly six weeks and Holmberg said his team’s inability to perform could have been related to the extended break.

“I’d hope that proverbial rust is off now,” he said. “Losses usually tend to fuel a stronger week in practice.”

The Gaels host Laurier and Waterloo in a pair of back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday.

Clare McKellar, Matt Holmberg, women's hockey