Talking Heads: Discussing our Indigeneity

Indigenous students to speak on their experiences coming to Queen’s

Image supplied by: Illustration by Kia Kortelainen

Every week, The Journal asks students to weigh in on a different question. This week, in honour of Aboriginal Awareness Week, we asked Indigenous students to speak on their experiences coming to Queen’s.

“Coming to Queen’s, my experiences surrounding Aboriginal culture and identity have been so positive. I’ve become more in touch with my culture through workshops and seminars and it’s made my Queen’s experience so unique. I hope to see more students become involved in Aboriginal traditions and culture at Queen’s because the Aboriginal community is always open to sharing their experiences and culture with the public. Happy Aboriginal Awareness Week!”

Lydia Brant, Sci ’17

“The resources that have been available to me as an Indigenous student at Queen’s have played a huge role in my experience here. Through the Aboriginal Access to Engineering program, I have taken advantage of academic support, networking with fellow Indigenous students and participating in various cultural events. I really have loved meeting the other students from our diverse backgrounds and exploring my culture in a welcoming and positive environment.” 

Kaitlyn Brant, Sci ’16

“I actually grew up in Markham, which is close to Toronto, and I was never really connected to my indigeneity at all. Maybe once a year we would go to the Pow Wow in Tyendinaga or we’d go visit my family there, but it wasn’t until I came to Queen’s and got involved with Four Directions and the Queen’s Native Student Association that I actually started getting involved and embracing my culture.”

Lauren Winkler, ArtSci ’17

“One of my favourite memories while at Queen’s was being taken to a Vietnamese restaurant while on a date, and then being asked for Vietnamese food recommendations. It took me awhile to convince him I wasn’t actually Vietnamese, but rather ‘First Nations’, then ‘Native’, then ‘Indian with a Feather’ since the first two didn’t work out. That was the last time I saw him.”

Darian Doblej, ArtSci ’18

“My experience as an Aboriginal person at Queen’s has been an eye-opening one. The biggest thing I’ve learned has been how diverse Aboriginal people and their experiences are. There’s no one Aboriginal ‘appearance’ or experience and essentializing Aboriginal people really takes away their power. I have learned from so many brilliant, inspiring Aboriginal women at Queen’s that have supported and encouraged me to be my best self. Queen’s has a lot of work to do to better represent Aboriginal people on campus and to value their experiences and knowledge systems, but I have felt in my time here that progress is possible.”

Leah Combs, ArtSci ’16

“When I first came to Queen’s in 2011, I was intimidated by the intense Euro-academic atmosphere that was built in every stone. Coming from the small Mohawk Community of Tyendinaga, it was a very new experience. I found my place at [Four Directions Aboriginal Student Centre] and joined the Queen’s Native Student Association. I have remained a member for almost five years now. I have experienced some of the best times in QNSA and hope to remain lifelong friends with these (currently all) girls.”

Melanie Gray, ArtSci ’16

: talking heads, Aboriginal Awareness Week, Indigeneity