Interim Dean appointed for the Faculty of Arts and Science

Image supplied by: Journal file photo
Smith has been appointed to serve a 12 month term

With the departure of Susan Mumm as the Dean for the Faculty of Arts and Science and the search for a permanent dean beginning, Queen’s announced June 1 that Gordon Smith will serve in the position in the interim.

Smith takes over from Mumm who just this past December accepted the position of Principal at University of Western affiliate, Brescia University College in London, Ontario.

Smith, the vice-dean of Arts and Science at Queen’s, has been active within the Faculty in various roles since 2003.

This time has included work on collaborative programs with St. Lawrence College, the creation of the Indigenous Studies program, and the development of various courses.

According to the Queen’s Gazette, Smith was approached by the Principal’s Advisory Committee after it was decided that additional time was needed in their search for a replacement dean.

Provost Alan Harrison explained that the committee plans to take extra time to ensure strength and diversity in their candidate pool.

Smith’s research centers around historic and current issues of representation in Canadian ethnomusicology.

He is also the recipient of the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada Award of Excellence for Advancement of Research in Canadian Music.

The advisory committee is expected to continue their search for a permanent dean into the fall.

Smith has been appointed to serve a 12 month term, effective July 1, 2016.

Alan Harrison, Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science, Gordon Smith, interim dean, Susan Mumm