Kingston to live stream The Hip’s farewell concert

City of Kingston proclaims August 20 as “The Tragically Hip Day”.

Image supplied by: The Tragically Hip
The Hip will play their final concert at the K-Rock Centre on August 20

On August 20, all of Kingston will have a front row seat to music history, as the beloved Kingston-bred band, The Tragically Hip say farewell to their fans with a final concert at the K-Rock Centre that will be live streamed in Market Square.

The Hip, comprised of Gord Downie, Paul Langlois, Rob Baker, Gord Sinclair and Johnny Fay, first came together in the early 1980s as a local Kingston group. They would eventually work their way to becoming one of the most iconic Canadian rock bands.

After 30 plus years of friendship, music and fans, the band is closing the final chapter of their musical career after the news of frontman Gord Downie’s diagnosis of terminal brain cancer. 

The band announced a farewell tour of their Man Machine Poem early this year, which began with its first show in Victoria, BC on July 22.

Now, as their final concert in Kingston is quickly approaching, the city has announced they will live stream the concert from Market Square and have proclaimed August 20 as “The Tragically Hip Day”.

While the live stream is in honour of The Hip’s final goodbye, it is also celebrating the band’s musical journey, which has inspired Kingston’s community — a hub for underground talent and artists.

The live stream will be a pubic and free event. Public transit will be free after 4 p.m. on August 20,so that all residents and visitors can attend.

The live stream will begin at 8 p.m. on August 20 in Market Square, outside of city hall.

Follow The Hip’s journey on qjlongform.com coming this August.

bands, Concert, Events, Kingston, Local, Music, The Tragically Hip