Weekend road game roundup

Football wins, men’s rugby and soccer tie

Western was the last team the Queen’s football team lost to

After having most teams at home with the opening of the revitalized Richardson Stadium, football, men’s rugby and men’s soccer hit the road to battle through the OUA.

Football — Gaels move up the standings against winless Waterloo Warriors

This weekend, Queen’s hit the road for their first game away in two weeks, and made it feel like home. 

In their 54-20 win against Waterloo, Queen’s was in control from early in the first quarter, with running back Jonah Pataki taking the ball 33 yards for a touchdown. It wasn’t the only time he would score on the day, adding two more total downs with 133 yards on the day. Queen’s out rushed Waterloo 206-94 yards. 

The offense didn’t rely solely on the run. Quarterback Nate Hobbs completed 19 passes for 274 yards and two touchdowns. Receiver Chris Osei-Kusi has become Hobbs favourite target, reeling in five catches for 106 yards, including a 40-yard completion in the first half. 

Defensive-back Nicholas Fraser-Greene had a highlight reel play, intercepting the Warriors and taking it 68-yards, deep into Waterloo territory. 

Kicker Nick Liberatore continued his strong play, hitting all four of his field goal attempts and six extra points.

Jonah Pataki running the ball against Guelph last year. (Journal File Photo)

Men’s Rugby — Rivalry game finishes in tie

This Saturday in London, two of the top teams in the OUA battled, not only for bragging rights, but for second place in OUA standings.

After falling 6-0 early in the match through two Mustang penalty kicks, scrum-half Dylan Young responded with a penalty kick for Queen’s, cutting the lead in half going into halftime. 

In the second frame, Western extended their lead with a try in the 64th minute. Unable to hit the conversion, Western left the door open for the Gaels’ Angus MacPhail to tie the game five minutes later.

When the final whistle blew, neither team came out victorious, resulting in a tie. This was the first time since 2008 that the Gaels tied an OUA game.

With the tie, Queen’s sits in third place, just one point behind Western at second.

Kanoia Lloyd leads the Gaels with eight try’s in five games. (Photo by Julia Balakrishnan)

Men’s Soccer — Late Carleton goal saves draw against Gaels

With their 2-2 come-from-behind draw against RMC earlier in the week, the men’s soccer team was going to be in tough against the sixth nationally-ranked Carleton Ravens in Ottawa on Sunday. 

Though the first twenty minutes of the game was very defensive, the Gaels hit the scoreboard first, with Nicholas Meunier giving the lead to the away side.

M⚽️: @queensgaels score to take the lead 1-0. 28′ #GoRavens

— Carleton Ravens (@CURavens) October 2, 2016

Meunier’s goal proved to be important, as the Gaels would go into half time with the lead, hoping to upset one of the nation’s top teams.

In the second half, Carleton began to press, leaving Queen’s to rely on first-year goalkeeper Alex Jones.

Jones would make 11 saves throughout the contest, including a tough save on Ravens Andrew Bryan. Unfortunately for Queen’s, Carleton was able to find the back of the net in the 83rd minute, tying the game at 1-1.

Though there were still seven minutes left, neither team was able to get the upper hand.

MSOC – Gaels draw 1-1 with Ravens in Ottawa https://t.co/xMmi0jIGXi

— #ChaGheill (@queensgaels) October 2, 2016

After their second straight tie, Queen’s sits fourth in the OUA East with an extra game to play on those ahead of them. The Gaels play next on Thanksgiving weekend, against Ryerson and the U of T on the road.

away recaps, Football, Men’s Soccer, Men's rugby