Homecoming game predictions

The Journal’s Sports Editor forecasts this weekend’s results 

Image by: Victoria Gibson

Women’s Rugby

1 p.m. @ Nixon Field

From a statistical stand point, Queen’s is dominant against everyone but McMaster and Guelph. In games against the other teams in the league — including York — Queen’s has dominated, scoring 215 points while only allowing 10 in three wins. Queen’s also has a mix of veteran and young talent. Veterans Nadia Popov and Miranda Seifert lead Queen’s with 42 and 40 points respectively, with the Gaels getting strong controlled  play from second-years Sadie Stephenson and Kara Gani have controlled play. The balanced attack and strong defense will lead Queen’s to a decisive win.

Football

1 p.m. @ Richardson Stadium

Queen’s needs to out play their opponents. Windsor has the third worst defense in the OUA, allowing 564.8 yards per game. On the balanced approach of passing — with quarterback Nate Hobbs fifth in the OUA in yards per game — and with the strong running of Jonah Pataki, who rushed for 125 yards and three touchdowns earlier this season against Waterloo, Queen’s will come out on top. Currently the two teams are vying for one of the last playoff spots in the OUA, and adding a home field advantage, I predict that Queen’s will win in 

a high-score game. 

Men’s Rugby

3:15 p.m. @ Nixon Field

Historically, Queen’s is one of the top teams in the league. From a skill-based perspective this year, the team is very talented and very deep, giving the Gaels a huge advantage over the Badgers. While both teams have lost to Guelph, Brock has dropped games against Trent and RMC, two teams Queen’s has already beat this season. 

With Rumball, Lloyd and captain Michael Douros in their fourth year, experience will ride the team to a victory.

Women’s Hockey

7:30 p.m. @ Memorial Centre

This is a game of revenge for Queen’s against the Nipissing Lakers. 

After splitting their season series, the Lakers had the last laugh, knocking out the Gaels in the first round of the OUA playoffs. While Queen’s has a lot of talent from years before, they graduated six key seniors, having to fill those gaps with first years. While I hope for a win I think that the first years still need to adjust to life in the OUA, with Queen’s dropping the game.

Game predictions