Week 12 road games round up

Basketball teams win along with women’s hockey, both volleyball teams drop weekend series

Emily Hazlett (5) and Marianne Alarie (10) against Guelph.

Men’s Basketball — Strong second half sees team erase 27-point deficit to win

Down 48 to 27 at half, the chances of coming out with a win were looking pretty bleak for the men’s basketball team on Friday evening against Lakehead.

Going into the fourth quarter on the road made it seem even more unlikely, but Queen’s came out looking like a different team. After Lakehead extended their lead to 71-51, Sukhpreet Singh took over. During Queen’s 20-0 run which spanned eight of the quarter’s ten minutes, Singh scored 10 of the Gaels 23 straight-points. 

As the game came to a 74-74 tie in the final minutes, Singh hit two freethrows to ice the game and give the Gaels the 76-75 victory, after a single made freethrow from the Lakehead team.

It was a tale of two halves for Queen’s, as the Gaels shot an effective 46 per cent from the field in the second half, compared to their 33 per cent in the first. 

At 4-1, Queen’s is second in the OUA East, with their final game of the fall semester against Algoma this coming Saturday.

Women’s Basketball — Gaels finish strong against Lakehead to stay undefeated.

Although it’s typically cold in Thunder Bay, the women’s basketball team maintained their hot streak.

Queen’s didn’t look back after a slow first quarter, maintaining the lead for the rest of the game in a 

68-61 win.

The sixth ranked team in Canada received another strong performance from Marianne Alarie, who led the team with 22 points in 30 minutes of action.

With Robyn Pearson out of action in the post, Veronika Lavergne stepped into her spot, finishing with 11 points, six rebounds and two steals in the win.

Abby Dixon scored 14 points in 28 minutes  for the Gaels, shooting an efficient 42 per cent from 

the field.

At 5-0, Queen’s is at the top of the OUA East, and will face Algoma at the ARC this coming Saturday.

Women’s Volleyball — Drop close games

The women’s volleyball team will need to be more efficient to win tight games.

In their first game against York Lions, the Gaels committed 23 errors compared to the Lions 18, and attacked at a lower success-rate. York out-hit Queen’s .236 per cent to .169.

After a hard fought game, Queen’s lost 15-12 in the fifth and final set.

Things didn’t fare much better against Nipissing on the Saturday. Although Queen’s committed one less error and attacked the ball at a more effective .192 percentage, the team didn’t start well. They dropped the first two sets 25-18 and 25-15.

Although they turned it around to win 25-13 and 25-22, momentum would shift back towards Nipissing, winning 15-12 in the final set.

Queen’s had a standout performance from Caroline Livingston. Over the two games, she amassed 29 kills, five aces and four blocks.

Queen’s goes into the break at 3-6, fifth in the OUA East. In their first game back in January, they’ll face the winless RMC.

Men’s volleyball  — gaels drop both games on the road

This weekend is one that the men’s volleyball team would’ve wanted back.

Against York, Queen’s played their closest match of the season. Over four sets, York only managed one more kill than Queen’s, with the teams accumulating the same amount of aces (7), errors (25). They also finished with almost identical hitting percentages, with Queen’s hitting .182 and York at .184.

With the match only decided by a total of five points, York was able to gain momentum late in sets to fend off the Gaels, winning 3-1.

Against the Nipissing Lakers, Queen’s was out matched by one of the OUA’s top teams, losing 3-0 in straight sets for the first time this season. 

Nipissing put up an efficient performance, only committing eight errors compared to Queen’s 18, and hit at an efficient .430 percent. 

Queen’s heads into the winter break at 5-4, good for fourth in the OUA East. They play the 2-7 RMC Paladins when action picks up again in January.

Women’s Hockey — Win against U of T sees Queen’s in three way tie for final playoff spot

Going into their last game before December break, Queen’s was three points behind the U of T Varsity Blues for the last playoff spot in the conference. With a win in their game against each other last Sunday, the two teams are now tied in standings. 

Queen’s got on the board early with Megan Farrell’s first minute goal in the first period. Just five minutes within the opening puck drop, Queen’s went up 2-0 after Kaylie Dennis pounced on a rebound in front of the Varsity Blues net to scored.

Toronto wouldn’t be out of the game completely though. They outshot Queen’s 31-28, and managed to score early in the third period to put pressure on the Gaels.

With the score at 2-1, goalie Stephanie Pascal shut the door, making 30 saves in the contest with a .968 save percentage.

Forward Nadia Larocca would add the final touches to the games for Queen’s, scoring on an empty net to win 3-1.

The women’s hockey team heads into the break with a 5-1-6 record.

The sports staff top performers for the first half of the season. Graphic by Rachel Liu

Gaels away from home, recap, Sports