Queen’s to help students and researchers affected by U.S. visa ban

University announces concrete measures two weeks after promise from Principal Woolf

• News
Image by: Ryan Pistorius

Two weeks after a promise was made by Principal Daniel Woolf, Queen’s has released its list of tangible actions taken in response to the United States Executive Order signed on Jan. 27, barring citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from the United States.

On Jan. 31, Woolf announced that the University would be taking measures to aid students and researchers affected by the United States visa ban, adding that “we may well need to go beyond this”.

In a list released on Feb. 9, Queen’s announced the extension of both undergraduate and graduate application deadlines, as well emergency bursary funding being made accessible.

Queen’s School of Graduate Studies (SGS) has offered to host students and researchers unable to re-enter the United States to continue their studies or work.

Queen’s graduate students as well as postdoctoral fellows are eligible to apply for financial support if they’re citizens of the countries affected. They can use this financial assistance for conference fees, flight cancellations and similar costs.

Queen’s Law Refugee Support program has collected over 100 signed letters asking the federal Minister of Immigration to suspend the Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement — an agreement in which refugee claimants are required to request refugee protection in the first safe country they arrive in, unless they qualify for an exception.

Lastly, Principal Daniel Woolf issued a statement promoting travel and immigration-related resources available to all students and researchers.

Daniel Woolf, refugee, SGS, Support, US Executive Orders