Queen’s alumnus wins emerging artist grant

Vingoe-Cram is currently a tenant at the Tett

Earlier this month, Queen’s alum and local artist Katharine Vingoe-Cram was named the recipient of the 2016 Nan Yeomans Grant for Artistic Development, awarded annually by the Kingston Arts Council. 

Totalling $2,500 in value, the grant aims to help emerging artists grow and reach their utmost potential in the Kingston community and beyond. 

The Nan Yeomans grant is named after a prominent Kingston artist who dedicated her life to supporting local and emerging artists in the Kingston community. After her death in 2004, Yeomans left all her art and most of her estate to the Community Foundation for Kingston & Area. It was Yeomans’ wish to fund a grant and further support local talent in Kingston. 

Vingoe-Cram is the eighth-ever recipient of the award. 

Originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Vingoe-Cram has made Kingston her canvas. After pursuing an Master’s in art history from Queen’s, where she specialized in museum representation of Canadian folk art, the painter has recently taken tenancy at the Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning. 

Vinggoe-Cram’s favoured mediums are watercolours and oil on panel. Her art explores dreams, portraiture, and everyday objects through an abstract lens. 

Her series entitled, Watercolours (Dreams) (2014), for instance, features a unique taste of colours and shapes seeking to represent the beautiful nature of the psyche through depicting dreams. 

In addition to her independent projects, Vingoe-Cram also collaborates with local artist Gabriel Cheung on an interdisciplinary practice entitled NO. 

According to a Kingston Art Council press release, the Nan Yeomans Grant will help Vingeo-cram expand on her work during the summer of 2016 on residency at Spark Box Studio in Picton. The body of work, entitled Unexpected Visitors, explores the personal geography of grieving. The resulting collection will be submitted in 2017 to galleries and artist-run centres across Canada.

Artist, Arts, grant, Kingston Council