AMS services located along east wall of JDUC to close due to cold

On Thursday, March 16 the AMS executive released a statement regarding the temporary closure of certain AMS services including the Peer Support Centre, Academic Grievance Centre and Housing Resource Centre. 

All listed services are located in the John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC), next to the Innovation and Wellness Centre construction project. 

Issues arose when the west wall of the former PEC was demolished as part of the construction project. The wall provided insulation to the JDUC, which was eliminated once the wall was torn down. 

The AMS notified the University of the heating issues on Jan. 11, to which they say they’re still waiting for a response to. 

Both space heaters and heating blankets were used in attempts to aid the volunteer workers but these proved unsuccessful, leaving the AMS no choice but to close the services. 

Temperatures dropped to 12.3 degrees in the offices — 18 degrees being the minimum temperature required for office workspaces, as per the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act. 

“The AMS is working to find an alternative space for the Peer Support Centre. Its services are too valuable to be shut down, especially as we approach exam season. In the interim, we would direct students seeking support to contact peersupport@ams.queensu.ca,” the AMS statement read. 

AMS, AMS services, JDUC, Peer Support Centre