Some chilli for the chilly exam season

Fill up on some comfort food

Exam season is coming and along with that comes the daily Stauffer grind. A student budget can only accommodate so many takeout deliveries to the library and having to sneak pizza past library security only adds to exam stress.

It’s time to start packing meals and learning to meal prep. I’m by no means someone who packs lunch. I don’t plan ahead far enough and I end up eating everything I’ve prepped within 24 hours of cooking it. Luckily, this recipe is quick, requires little planning and is way too filling to finish in one sitting. Or three.

It also has the added benefit of tasting like a homemade care package — some much-needed comfort during the weeks ahead.

Ingredients (5 servings):

• 1 white onion
  • 50 oz. canned diced tomatoes
  • 30 oz. canned beans of choice, I used kidney beans
  • 1lb of ground meat of choice, I used ground beef
  • Preferred spices, I used ½ tbsp. chilli powder, 1 tbsp. garlic powder, 1 pinch of salt, and 1 tbsp. ground pepper

Instructions:

• Dice onions
  • In a deep stockpot, cook meat on medium-low, remove once browned and set aside
  • Using the grease from meat, cook onion until soft
  • Add all ingredients, including cooked meat, to onions
  • Bring to a boil and turn down to medium-low
  • Let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
  • Remove cover and let simmer until desired consistency is obtained, I prefer thicker chilli so I let it simmer for an additional 10 minutes

P.S. I highly recommend topping the finished product with a heaping pile of your favourite cheese.

Food, Lifestyle, recipe