Fundraising efforts to benefit campus & community

2017 marks the 50th Queen’s Shinerama campaign

The bottle drive is one of the biggest parts of Shinerama.

For many students, the Queen’s Shinerama campaign is associated with memories of deafening cheer-offs, bottle drives, car washes and an ongoing commitment to bettering the lives of Canadians living with cystic fibrosis. 

What many students may not be aware of however, is the significance of the Queen’s Shinerama campaign to the overall national organization. 

Each year, the Shinerama campaign on campus is organized by the Community Awareness, Respect, and Engagement (CARE) Committee of the ASUS Orientation Committee. According to Kaitlin Kocsis, C.A.R.E committee member as an OC for Orientation Week and a current member of the Shinerama National Team, this will be Queen’s 50th Shinerama campaign. 

Currently, the national organization raises nearly $1-million annually to go toward cystic fibrosis (CF) research and care. According to The Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Registry, CF is one of Canada’s most pervasive and fatal genetic diseases. 

To maximize student engagement toward the campaign at Queen’s, Shinerama events are known for their mixing of school spirit with a culture of community.

Shinerama Frosh events begin with the ‘Shine Rally’. Here, first-year students and their Gaels are given a presentation by a representative from the Shinerama organization, followed by a competitive cheer-off between first-years and Gaels.

Later in the week, the campaign’s biggest fundraising initiative on campus takes place in the Sidewalk Sale. This daytime event welcomes all Queen’s students and community members to learn more about the hundreds of student-run organizations on campus. It’s also an opportunity to become familiar with local businesses and organizations that will have booths set up during the sale. All the proceeds from booth operators during the Sidewalk Sale are donated to Queen’s Shinerama. 

Queen’s well-documented history with the Shinerama national organization means the school has the unique capacity to directly influence the lives of Canadians fighting against CF. 

The Queen’s Shinerama campaign is one of the organization’s largest for a university campus. As a result, the school is in a position to make significant change through the thousands of dollars raised annually by their involvement. 

Last year Queen’s Shinerama raised $89,656 during Frosh Week alone, bringing them closer to their goal of $100,000 for Frosh Week 2017.

“Queen’s may be one of the larger campaigns for Shinerama but that does not mean we shouldn’t push ourselves further,” Kocsis said. 

The Queen’s Shinerama campaign is trying to combat the belief that minor donations aren’t as significant as major ones that the national organization receives. The organization is educating students and sharing real stories of CF patients to continue encouraging all donations. 

“Shinerama is unique in that the average life expectancy of someone who has CF has increased exceptionally since Shinerama began fundraising and progress is noticeable as the statistics are constantly changing year to year,” Kocsis said. 

“There is still no cure for Cystic Fibrosis and I know myself and everyone else on the Shinerama National team will not stop until that cure is found and I have a feeling we are on the cusp of that discovery,” Kocsis said.

Corrections

The article said Kaitlin Kocsis was past C.A.R.E while she was actually a C.A.R.E committee member as an OC for orientation week.

The Journal regrets the error.