Queen's receives $14.8 million in research funding from NSERC

University District

Journal file photo

On September 8, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) announced its funding allotments for 2017, from which Queen’s received a cumulative $14,808,621 million for over 70 researchers.

NSERC is a council that operates through the Government of Canada and provides funding to researchers at post-secondary institutions throughout the country.

Recipients at Queen’s will use the funding to complete a range of projects, with research interests in fields such as particle physics, biology and chemistry.

Some notable recipients include chemistry professor Philip Jessop, who received $619,400 to develop a project aimed to produce industrial chemicals in a more environmentally-friendly way.

Ryan Martin, an assistant professor in the physics department received $225,000 which will go towards testing new particle detectors that will be used in large-scale particle astrophysics experiments.

Biology professor Virginia Walker has received $300,000 to examine anti-freeze proteins in the hopes of improving protection for plants and animals from cold-related cell damage.