Golf takes home two provincial medals

Men’s and women’s teams win silver in Ottawa

Men’s golf placed second at the OUA championships.
Image supplied by: Photo supplied by Greg Mason

With both men’s and women’s teams picking up silver medals at the OUA Championships in Ottawa, it’s safe to say Queen’s golf had some success on the fairway this past weekend.

Over the course of the two-day tournament, Gael Robyn Campbell led the team with a second overall, +13 finish. For her strong individual play this weekend, she was named an OUA first-team 

All-Star. She wasn’t alone as an All-Star, as teammate Melissa Ramnauth was selected for the OUA second-team. Ramnauth finished in eighth-place, just eight strokes behind Campbell.

On the men’s side, Myles Killackey led the way for Queen’s with a second-team All-Star spot of his own. He finished in sixth-place with a score of +4, a narrow six strokes off the category’s leader.

As a result of their strong podium finishes, both Gaels teams will be competing next at the national championships held in May at Chilliwack, British Columbia.

Ramnauth spoke about her All-Star caliber tournament, describing how her first and second rounds couldn’t have differed more. Despite some struggles on the first day — where she still managed to shoot an impressive 80 — the second round didn’t quite go her way. Although she thought she played a lot better, Ramnauth admitted she struggled on the green and shot 85.

Despite shooting an equal 74 on both days, Killackey also found he played better in his second round. He believed the difference was in his ability to navigate the tough weather conditions.

Overall, both golfers were incredibly impressed with the program’s performance as a whole. 

For the women, Ramnauth considers this season the team’s best year. 

“In past years, we’ve always had trouble posting three good scores out of the four players, but this year, we were able to consistently post three, if not four great scores,” she said. Ramnauth said this consistency was  key to medaling in every tournament this season.

Killackey agreed with the sentiments raised by Ramnauth. “We have a really talented team, and everyone pushes each other to play better,” he said. 

According to both athletes, these medals represent a stark improvement in the team’s performances and expectations of themselves. Despite this being the fourth year running that the program has made it to the national level, they had never found themselves anticipating much of a result. This year, however, was different. 

“[I]t’s the first time I really see how much potential we have to win a banner,” Ramnauth said. 

Ramnauth added that the preparations for nationals have already begun and will continue throughout the winter, with the hopes of both to win a medal in May. She hopes this momentum will lead them to winning the 2018 OUA title.

Specifically, the team has prepared for tournaments by spending time at both the Cataraqui Golf Club in Kingston and Loch March; where the OUA championships were held. Considering the results from the weekend, Ramnauth and Killackey will certainly stick with the training to further improve.

“At the end of April, once school ends and golf courses reopen, I’m sure everyone will be doing everything they can to prepare on the course,” Ramnauth said. 

Killackey concurred, adding, “I know if we prepare properly we’ll have a good week [at nationals].”

Looking back on her final nine holes of the tournament, Ramnauth heads to the offseason with a bitter taste. But this, she said, will only serve to inspire her further for success at the pending national championships. 

“It’s [going to] motivate me to put in a lot of practice this winter,” she said.

Golf