Halloween spirit on campus and around Kingston

All the events you won’t want to miss

The end of October is scary for several reasons. 

First of all, it brings about the stresses and horror of midterms. The second reason and way more exciting one, is the annual return of Halloween. 

Let’s be honest, this holiday, or more importantly, Halloweekend, is what’s getting us through week seven. We’re deep into the mid-semester struggle, so now is the perfect time to let loose and take a break to celebrate Halloween. 

Here’s a list of 10 ways to revel in this spooky season in Kingston this year.

Halloween Ritual (Oct. 27 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.)

For those of you lucky souls who happen to be 19 or over, head on over to Clark Hall Pub on Friday for a Halloween-themed Ritual. Start Halloweekend off right by having a drink with your best buds — costumes encouraged. Clark will be serving their usual selection of beer, turbo and wine starting Friday at noon. What better way to kick off the weekend celebrations. 

Halloween at Flashback Friday (Oct. 27 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.)

Campus’ staple student club, the Underground, is transforming their night of throwbacks into a full-blown Halloween fest. If you love music, dancing and Halloween-themed nights out, this is the place to be on Friday night. Head on over to the Underground to rock the night away to some old-school Halloween jams.

Halloween Glowing Art Gallery (Oct. 27 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.)

Don’t miss the art event of the season. Literally. It’s a Halloween-inspired glowing art exhibit held at Starlight Enclosures (280 Montreal Street) on Oct. 27. Whether you’re an art history major or an engineer, this exhibit is sure to amaze you and satisfy your cravings for a spooky Halloween event. 

If the idea of seeing spooky art in the dark intrigues you, this is the place for you. Plus, it’s free. To find the event, look for the glowing pink car that lights the way and head down the alley to arrive at the gallery. Dark alleyway on Halloween? Sounds about right.

Trick-or-Treat Downtown 2017 (Oct. 27 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.)

As a university student, you may think you’re too old to go trick-or-treating — but think again. This all-ages event invites you to trick-or-treat right downtown at local businesses. The doors of those participating will be marked with balloons so just march on up and knock — hopefully you’re offered a treat and not a trick. Starting at 5 p.m. on Oct. 27, head downtown with your best costumes and have fun trick-or-treating with your friends just like in the good old days.

House of $laughter at Fort Fright (before Oct. 29)

Enjoy Halloween in its purest form with a good scare at this creepy carnival. Journey over to Fort Henry (1 Fort Henry Drive) and pay $7 for the fright of your life. Or at least, the fright of Halloween 2017. Complete with a magic show and “carnevil” games, the House of $laughter is one event you won’t want to miss.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Oct. 27 at 9:30 p.m. and 11:55 p.m.)

Feel like getting into the Halloween spirit but not interested in a wild night out? Why not enjoy an eerie musical? On Oct. 27, the Screening Room (120 Princess Street, second floor) is showing the creepy classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Sit back, relax and get swept up in the energy of the movie that’s sure to give you a scare.

Symphonic Spooktacular (Oct. 31 at 7:30 p.m.) 

Honestly, this event’s name should be enough to spark your interest. The Grand Theatre (218 Princess Street) will be hosting the Kingston Symphony and Kingston Choral Society on Halloween night for some scary symphonic music inspired by epic Halloween themes like demons and Godzilla. Arrive in costume and allow your senses to experience a whole new wave of Halloween celebration.

From club events to trick-or-treating, there are great ways for everyone to enjoy the scariest holiday of the season in Kingston this year. 

City of Kingston, Fall, fort henry, Halloween