LCBO announces Kingston as one of 14 cities to have first legal marijuana shop

By July 1
Image supplied by: via Pixabay
By July 1

By July 1, 2018, Kingston will be one of the first cities in Ontario to open a recreational marijuana dispensary.

On Nov. 3, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO), which will manage the new Ontario Cannabis Retail Corporation (OCRC), announced the first group of 40 dispensaries to open across the province shortly after legalization. The province expects to have 150 stand-alone store fronts by 2020 that span over 14 different cities.

The LCBO said in a statement on Friday, “over the coming weeks, staff from the Ministry of Finance and the LCBO will meet with staff at the identified municipalities to discuss the guidelines and process for sitting stores and local interests.”

“Additional municipalities intended for stores by July 2018 will also be identified. Consumers in all regions of Ontario will have access to cannabis through an online channel,” the statement continued.

The proposed OCRC will manage the sale of cannabis and mandates dispensaries be a certain distance from schools. However, it’s unclear where the first dispensary will be located and whether or not a university is considered a “school” in the language of the bill.

LCBO Announces First 14 Cities to Have Legal Recreational Marijuana Shops #Ontario #Canada #LCBO #Government https://t.co/Gw5whVaYUX pic.twitter.com/kZeS64QiEc

— Cannabis Culture (@CannabisCulture) November 3, 2017

City of Kingston, Marijuana, marijuana legalization