A tour outside of Kingston

Exploring the surronding areas

A lot of university and college students take advantage of their four-month vacation from school to travel around the globe. But when you’re working with a tight budget and are stuck working full time for the summer, spending a month backpacking across Europe might simply be out of the question.

My summer in Kingston showed me that exploring your community and becoming a tourist in your own city can be just as fun and adventurous as a trip abroad.

Although school is out for the majority of students, Kingston and its surrounding towns really come alive during the summer months. Along with two of my closest friends, in early August, I decided to put on my tourist cap and drive to Gananoque to take a boat tour with 1000 Islands Cruises. 

I’m accustomed to boating around the Muskoka areas, comprised mainly of interconnected lakes and surrounded by cottages, with stand-alone islands being a rare occurrence. The 1000 Islands boat tour was a really amazing experience because throughout the tour, you’re surrounded by  you guessed it  thousands of islands, all varying in size. It feels like a miniature version of the Caribbean. 

Boldt Castle and the island it’s situated on is one of the highlights of the 1000 Islands boat tour. To get off at Boldt Castle, you’re required to have your passport on hand, as it’s considered to be a part of the United States. Sadly, my passport has been expired for the last three years. However, the views from the water were still pretty spectacular. 

The drive from Gananoque to Picton only takes about an hour, but with friends and a perfectly crafted summer playlist, it becomes an integral part of the experience rather than a chore.

Deciding to be adults for the day, my friends and I did the most adult thing we could think of: a wine tasting. We went to the Waupoos Winery, a small, spectacular vineyard located in Prince Edward County, overlooking Prince Edward Bay.

We ended our day walking around the beautiful grounds of the Waupoos winery. The site backs onto Prince Edward Bay and scattered throughout the vineyard are fountains and pergolas, making me feel like I was in Italy rather than hour from Kingston.

Finishing off a relaxing day, complete with our glasses of wine, we were able to catch the beautiful sunset at Waupoos Winery.

Although it can be hard not to envy our jet-setting friends during the months away from school, my summer in Kingston reminded me of the endless adventures to be had in our very own limestone city.

photo spread, Postscript