AMS releases open letter to KATC opposing proposed rideshare bylaws

An Amey's Taxi outside the JDUC.

On Nov. 13, the AMS released a formal letter addressed to the Kingston Area Taxi Commission (KATC) opposing the proposed Kingston City Bylaw No. 4. If passed, the bylaw would restrict the operation of companies, including Uber, to operate in the city and be accessible to students.

AMS Commissioner of Municipal Affairs Stefano Hollands wrote the letter on behalf of the society. It claims the bylaw “overtly discriminates against one regulated body (in this case, transportation networking companies), while protecting the interests of other members of the transportation industry.” 

Hollands wrote that the KATC has a responsibility to represent the student opinion in the community and consider that 62 per cent of students access commercial ridesharing services.

“In illustrating the desire for students to retain access to commercial ridesharing services, the AMS continues to recognize the need for regulation,” Hollands wrote. 

The KATC is attempting to pass the bylaw by the end of the year.

The letter concludes by noting the AMS is still open to working alongside the KATC as discussions around the bylaw continue. “The AMS is prepared to work with the KATC and offer its support of a By-law that reflects the safety concerns of students, while also representing their interest in maintaining a regulatory framework that does not disrupt TNCs’ operations altogether,” Hollands wrote.

AMS, bylaw, KATC, Uber