19-year-old man arrested after three women sexually assaulted on Queen’s campus

Assaults occurred within 10 minutes of each other on University Avenue and in City Park

A 19-year-old man was arrested by Kingston Police on Dec. 5 after he sexually assaulted three women within the span of 10 minutes. In a Dec. 6 news release, police said all assaults occurred on Queen’s campus and targeted women between 18 and 24 years old.

According to the release, the accused approached the first woman on University Avenue around 9:30 p.m. He put his hand on her buttocks and asked if she wanted to have sex. She told him to leave and the accused fled.

About 10 minutes later, the next two victims/survivors were followed by the accused while walking on Barrie Street. Once they reached City Park, the accused came from behind and violently wrapped his arms around the two women.

One of the women escaped his arms while the other fell to the ground with the accused on top of her. After the second woman broke free, the two ran and called the police.

Police found the accused laying on the ground in the park soon after and he was then transported to police headquarters. He now faces three counts of sexual assault, resist arrest and two counts of breach probation.

According to an email bulletin distributed by Kingston Police, the accused isn’t a Queen’s student.

In a phone interview with The Journal, Queen’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator Barbara Lotan called the incidences “unfortunate and disheartening” but urged students “not to panic.”

“Anybody feeling concerned should talk to campus security about their own safety planning,” Lotan said. She added she’s available to meet one-on-one with any student feeling unsettled by these events. 

“I just want to make sure that students have a person, and that person doesn’t have to be me,” Lotan continued, noting there are a variety of supports available on campus and online.

In an email to The Journal, Director of Campus Security and Emergency Services David Patterson said, “Queen’s will not be discussing any specifics of the recent incidents as the matter is before the courts.”

“Queen’s security continues to work closely with Kingston Police Service on all aspects of student and community safety on and around campus,” Patterson continued. “Our security personnel conduct routine patrols on campus and work closely with police if there are report of incidents.”

Patterson added that students should remain alert and aware of their surroundings at all times during exam season, as many are varying from their normal routines and work hours.

In terms of resources, Lotan encouraged students to visit the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response webpage. The University also released a statement connecting students to on-campus safety resources, which include emergency phones, AMS Walkhome, Safe Walk Services and the SeQure app.

Lotan hopes students will seek support and continue with their normal everyday activities, but acknowledges that we must continue to ask, “Why is this still happening?”

crime, police, Sexual Assault