Best new TV shows this season

Decreasing temperatures means increasing bed-binge-watching

Image supplied by: Photo illustration by Josh Granovsky
Characters from upcoming TV shows

The new year symbolizes renewed hope, new beginnings and most importantly, a brand new batch of exciting TV shows. With the winter season in full swing, you’re going to need some new shows to binge-watch as you bundle up in bed.

Here are the shows we’re excited for.

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace, Jan. 17

Two years ago, OJ Simpson’s trial was brought to life in American Crime Story’s inaugural season. This time around, producer Ryan Murphy is ditching the bizarre hairstyles and Kardashian references to tell the story of the assassination of famous fashion designer Gianni Versace. The season features an all-star cast, including Penelope Cruz and Darren Criss. It’s bound to impress in terms of quality and clothing.

Alone Together, Jan. 10

The new Freeform comedy, which has already been renewed for a second season, is created by comedians Esther Povitsky and Benji Aflalo, who star in the series as millennials trying to navigate vain Los Angeles culture. Alone Together is produced by comedy trio The Lonely Island, made up of superstars Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone. Povitsky and Aflalo nail the hilarity behind their “first-world problems” with a dry humour that any millennial can equally relate to and mock. 

Rise, March 13

Have you been searching your whole life for a cross between Glee and Friday Night Lights? If the answer is yes — which, let’s be real, it is — Rise tells the story of a high school teacher, played by How I Met Your Mother’s Josh Radnor, leading the school’s drama department. The series, to debut March 13, highlights the everyday struggles and real-life humanity behind its characters. Created by Jason Katims, producer of Friday Night Lights and Parenthood, Rise is sure to fill your ugly-happy-cry needs. It also stars Barb from Stranger Things so if you weren’t in before, you definitely are now.

Champions, March 8

If, like me, this fall’s finale of The Mindy Project left a Mindy Kaling-sized hole in your heart, Champions is the remedy you need. Though only credited as a recurring character, Kaling is a writer and producer of Champions, so it unsurprisingly features many familiar Mindy Project faces. Though the plot is not exactly original — a young bachelor is living his dream of doing nothing and dating a string of women until his high school fling shows up with their son — Mindy Kaling can be trusted to put an original spin and her signature sense of humour on anything she touches.

Good Girls, Feb. 26

Have you ever wondered what stressed out suburban moms do to make ends meet? Well, according to Good Girls, the answer is they rob a bank at (toy) gun-point. The comedy-drama, created by Scandal writer Jenna Bans, features all-stars like Parks and Recreation’s Retta, Parenthood’s Mae Whitman and Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks. Based on early previews, the female-driven cast seems fun, original and sure to bring lots of surprises. 

Altered Carbon, Feb. 2

Netflix’s upcoming series titled Altered Carbon, to debut this February, is based on a sci-fi novel of the same name written by Richard K. Morgan. The novel and series explores a futuristic society where consciousness can be transferred between people, essentially allowing for immortality. When Altered Carbon picks up, a recently deceased soldier uses his new body to solve his own murder — think Inception mixed with Westworld. With its all-star team and Netflix’s nearly unlimited budget, Altered Carbon is sure to have spectacular visuals and plenty of dystopian thrills. 

Grab a blanket and some popcorn and settle in for a winter season of great TV.

TV