Darcy Greenaway recognized for leadership on and off the ice

Men’s hockey left-wing awarded prestige Murray Douglas Scholarship 

Left to right: Murray Douglas
Image supplied by: Supplied by Shawn MacDonald
Left to right: Murray Douglas

The Murray Douglas Scholarship is as prestigious an award a Queen’s varsity hockey player can get their hands on.

And Darcy Greenaway knows that.

Last Friday — after the men’s hockey team’s 4-3 win over the Nipissing Lakers last Friday — the fourth-year forward was honoured with the Murray Douglas Scholarship. The award is given annually to a men’s hockey player who boasts extraordinary academic and athletic achievements, while also taking on a leadership role for their team. 

As a fourth-year economics student and member of the hockey team, Greenaway said winning the award was a huge honour.

“Balancing hockey and academics my first year or two was difficult. To be recognized for those efforts as well as my leadership in my fourth year is a great feeling,” Greenaway said about being recognized for his achievements.

The scholarship was initiated by Murray Douglas, B.Comm ’72, and Donna Douglas, Arts ’73. Murray, who played on the varsity hockey team from 1968 to 1972 and has had his scholarship awarded since the 2003-2004 season. The recipient for the past three seasons has been current Gaels goaltender Kevin Bailie. 

Considering his impending graduation, Greenaway said he’s been focused on enjoying his last year as a Queen’s varsity hockey player. And his team’s success has made doing this so much easier. Currently, the Gaels sit third in the OUA East behind McGill and Concordia. 

“Each year, I’ve found the team here has improved,” Greenaway reflected. “It’s been fun to be part of it and see how the team has developed. We’ve made it a little farther each season so hopefully we can continue with that trend this year.”

Over the past four seasons, Greenaway has endured the highs and lows of Queen’s hockey. He particularly remembers of the different feelings of victory and defeat that come with every season. 

“My favourite memory was beating McGill last year to send us to the OUA final and the national championship in Fredericton,” Greenaway said. 

The visit to the national championships was the Gaels’ first in over 30 years.

When asked about Greenaway, Gaels head coach Brett Gibson takes enormous pride in what the left-winger has been able to accomplish during his hockey career at Queen’s. 

“Darcy’s a real great success story,” Gibson said. “Darcy’s a guy that came out of junior hockey and was considering [pursuing] pro hockey instead of going to school … It makes me real proud as a coach that we were able to provide a place for Darcy to go excel both on the ice and off the ice.” 

“That’s what we try to do here at Queen’s.”

For Gibson, the award simply amplified how he feels about one of the strongest players Queen’s has had over the past four years.

“Darcy’s one of my favorites to ever put on the uniform,” Gibson said. “He gives everything he has and it’s just special to have an opportunity to reward him for all the hard work.”

While Greenaway was honoured to receive such a revered award, he said the celebration with the award was short-lived. Instead, the playoffs are on his mind. Despite having a rocky start to the season, the Gaels are gaining momentum going with five games remaining.

“We have a strong returning core this year, as well as some great first-year additions,” Greenaway said. “We’re gearing up for what is hopefully another long playoff run. Nothing would make this year more special than winning an OUA title and bringing the Queen’s Cup home.”  

Darcy Greenaway, Men's hockey