Senate recap Feb. 27

Senate passes four new degree and certificate programs

Image supplied by: Journal file graphic

On Feb. 27, Senate passed four new degree and certificate programs, with modifications to two existing degree programs.

As of September 2018, Queen’s will offer a Masters of Management in Artificial Intelligence, a Masters in Science and PhD in Translational Medicine, a certificate in French for Processionals and a combined BScH/MSc (Chemistry or Biochemistry) degree program.

Senate also passed a motion to modify the MSc and PhD degrees in Management Major. Senators approved the renaming of the existing field of ‘Management Science’ to ‘Analytics’ in the MSc and PhD in Management programs in the Smith School of Business, effective September 2018.

Tuesday’s Senate meeting also saw a presentation delivered on the graduate student experience at Queen’s and in Canada. The presentation highlighted the “changing landscape” of the graduate experience.

According to the presentation, a larger portion of graduate students are working outside of academia than in previous years following graduation. The presentation also indicated Queen’s “needs to look to different sources” to boost graduate funding.

A comment submitted by Senator Alexandru Sonoc prior to the meeting argued that rather than the University supporting the redevelopment of the JDUC, it should push to allocate funds to improve research at Queen’s.

“What is the rationale for the university contributing significant funds towards the renovation of the John Deutsch University Centre or other improvements to the student experience rather than directing them towards measures to improve research?” the comment read.

In response, SGPS President Adam Grotsky pointed to the strong support garnered by students for a “graduate wing” in the JDUC. At the graduate level regardings February’s referendum on JDUC development, the SGPS voted overwhelmingly in support of the project with a $40 student fee.

Grotsky said, “we need to strike the right balance,” between recreational student space and research funding.

JDUC, Senate