News in Brief

Federal, provincial governments contributing nearly $78 million for public transit

On Mar. 16, provincial and federal funding to expand Kingston’s public transit systems was announced by MPP Sophie Kiwala, MP Mark Gerrretsen and other municipal representatives, including Kingston Mayor Brian Paterson. 

An investment of about $78 million was announced at the Kingston Transit garage on Mar. 16. While the provincial government is pitching in an additional $35 million, the federal government is contributing just over $43 million over the next decade for transit infrastructure.

The investment will be used to build up public transit infrastructure and expand Kingston’s public transit reach over the coming years.

According to The Kingston-Whig Standard, Paterson said at the announcement, “there is no question that we have become a leader in public transit and this money is going to allow us to continue to be leader … We have great plans.”

MPP Kiwala added, “I think the funding has to be evidence-based, it has to go where there is a need and Kingston has been such a great leader, they have set the bar very high.”

— Iain Sherriff-Scott

ASUS announces new Orientation Week mud race event

On Mar. 14, ASUS announced they will be incorporating a mud race as a new event in their Orientation Week programming this upcoming fall. The charity race will replace the Shinerama fundraiser done in the past, as ASUS has ended their partnership with the cystic fibrosis charity to join forces with the Canadian Cancer Society.

In November, ASUS announced it would be ending its 13-year partnership with Shinerama to start a new one with the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS). The new mud race event consists of an off-campus outdoor course that will be provided by CCS.

According to 2018 Head Gael Sam Maclennan, students will be bused to the mud race course on Sept. 8, which will be the last day of faculty orientation.

“Incoming students can participate in short sections of the obstacle course, or they can participate in lower-intensity activities in our Mud Hut, a large tent set up on the property with other group bonding games,” Maclennan told The Journal via email. “We will have local bands in attendance to play music, as well as a BBQ for students to eat at.”

Maclennan explained upper year volunteers will run the event alongside Orientation Committee members. ASUS is currently seeking volunteers for the race.

“We want this to be a brand-new, engaging event, in partnership with CCS, that helps end our week with a bang,” Maclennan continued. “We are extremely excited to see it take shape.”

— Maureen O’Reilly

Queen’s announces collaboration with 10 Ontario colleges

According to a Mar. 16 statement released by the University, Queen’s has signed agreements with 10 Ontario colleges that will allow students enrolled in a one-year “health-centered” certificate program to “gain advanced standing in a Queen’s online health degree.”

Graduates of colleges’ pre-health sciences programs will have an advanced pathway when enrolling in Queen’s online Bachelor of Health Sciences program. Students who enroll will receive credit for approximately one semester.

The Ontario colleges who have signed the agreement currently are Algonquin College, Cambrian College, Fleming College, Georgian College, Humber College, Loyalist College, Niagara College, Northern College, Sheridan College and St. Lawrence College.

According to the statement, “the agreements are effective immediately and are designed to pair the students’ introductory training and experience in health and healthcare with the necessary theoretical knowledge to pursue a variety of health professions or further studies at the university level.”

“Ontario universities and colleges have stepped up their efforts to develop transfer credit policies and practices, making it easier for students to choose their path through the postsecondary system. According to ONCAT [Ontario Council on Articulation and Transfer], 55,000 students transfer institutions each year in Ontario,” the statement continued.

Applications to Queen’s online Bachelor of Health Sciences degree for the Spring 2018 term are now open.

— Iain Sherriff-Scott

Asus, Cancer Society, college, Health Sciences, Kingston Transit, mud race, ONCAT, Orientation Week