The Latest ‘Trend’? Anything Goes

By Trilby Goouch

Blogs Editor

The current fashion climate celebrates individuality and personal style.

We are experiencing a reversal of roles; inspiration comes from the streets, with everyday fashion lovers directing designers and buyers. I was recently discussing this with a woman I met who works at Holt Renfrew, a Canadian luxury brand department store. We talked about differentiating content from the millions of online fashion blogs. The Internet has provided a level of accessibility that allows anyone the opportunity to be a journalist, blogger or fashion photographer. Trend reports are regurgitated, and photos recycled via Tumblr and Pinterest. The Man-Repeller, a highly successful fashion blogger, once sported a t-shirt that read, “All blogs post the same stuff”, an ironic statement that rings true to everyone in the industry. Hence personal style has emerged as the solution to stand out among the crowd; fashion lovers are developing a personal brand identity. The beauty of street style is it creates original content; runway shots and editorial spreads are no longer limited to the pages of magazines; with unlimited access, readers expect more.

The Sartorialist, the original street style blog, opened up an online community where everyday people take on roles as fashion photographers. The Sartorialist was created by photographer Scott Schuman, who has developed an extensive portfolio featuring fashionable men and women spotted all over the world. There are countless other street-style blogs on the Internet who have followed suit, including Jak + Jil and Stockholm Street Style. Big name magazines have even developed their own street style selections as part of their online content.

Despite the fact that the same products, trends and styles are repeated in the fashion market, no two people on the streets look alike. If you entered a restaurant in the 80’s, you’d likely observe shoulder pads incorporated into every outfit. Today, there’s no uniform look. In fact, it’s often the trend-rejectors that receive the most attention for their personal style. If grunge is trending, preppy style gains momentum. The fashion world is just as open to those that follow trends as those who don’t. Anti-trend groups are more prevalent than ever, rejecting labels splashed across t-shirts and logo-ridden handbags.

I find the evolution of fashion exemplified in how my Mom and I approach fashion. I like juxtaposition; masculine with feminine, tough leather with soft silks, and contrasting silhouettes and colours. My Mom, however, is inclined to match colours, shapes and fabrics. A navy blouse requires a navy shoe, or a red pant needs a top with a hint of red. This is because in her generation, people followed definitive looks; fashion was more about mimicking what was in movies or on the runway. Pants were either high-waisted or low-rise; today we mix and match.

The fashion climate of today celebrates creativity, diversity and individuality. Fashion and style no longer needs to be ‘pretty’ or full of labels; the fashion industry defines cool as going against the grain, from geek-inspired glasses to ombre hair.

So whether you’re sporting a Chanel tweed blazer or an oversized sweater borrowed from your Dad, anything goes. In our current economy, that opens up a lot of doors.