Take It From The Swedes

By Trilby Goouch
Blogs Editor

Stockholm fashion week has come and gone and the abundance of home-grown designers is creating quite a stir in the women’s fashion industry. Swedish fashion is gaining strength and popularity, making a namesake with its unique Nordic look. Swedish style is characteristically modern yet comfortable, with an emphasis on craftsmanship, minimalism and an element of androgyny. The streets reflect a general trend of long straight hair, grunge-inspired pieces and ankle boots.

As designer Ann Sofie-Back of Cheap Monday explains, “my clothes are for someone with a sense of humour; someone who doesn't take fashion too seriously and who dresses for herself, rather than for a man.” The fashion blogosphere is witnessing more and more Swedish-based blogs gaining popularity: Stockholm StreetStyle, Style by Kling, Hanna & John, Swedish Fashion Blog and many more.

Be sure to check out London Fashion Week’s feature of 40 plus designers, featuring many Swedish brands at Somerset House.

Major Swedish brands include:
H&M: The high-street brand was created by Swedish designers Erling Persson and Mauritz Widforss and was originally opened in 1947 as Hennes, a womenswear store. Though the designs are influenced from designers all over the world, the look is all around European, with quirky accessories, bright bold prints and androgynous pieces.
Cheap Monday: Most famous for their jean collection and 90s grunge influence
Acne (Ambition to Create Novel Expression): A minimalist collection of soft knits, denim, wool sweaters and tailored blazers
COS: A high-street brand composed of simple structured pieces with an androgynous feel; think oversized blazers, tailored ankle-grazing trousers and straight skirts.
Dr. Denim: The brand focuses on contemporary denim, describing its designs as envisioned through “geeky eyes”.
Carin Wester: Carin won entrepreneur of the year in 2008 by Ernst & Young. Her designs have been featured at both Urban Outfitters and ASOS.
Odd Molly: Designs boast florals, feminine shapes and a hippie-vibe.
weSC-WeAreTheSuperlativeConspiracy: The brand aims itself at “intellectual slackers”, taking inspiration from WeActivists, people who the brand deems inspiring, influential, humble and with a ‘streetstyle persona’.
House of Dagmar: Self-defined “arty chic”, the brand is known for its unconventional and simple style, presenting pieces that are sophisticated with a unique combination of glamour and tailoring.