Review: Standout lipsticks

So you’ve decided you need a new lipstick. Maybe you have an event coming up, or perhaps you’re just looking for another shade for everyday use. Whatever the case, you head to your local makeup store, but you’re confronted with a seemingly endless wall of products.

With so many products on the market, it can be difficult to sort out that perfect lipstick from all the other less-than-stellar options. And when you’re on a student budget, trying out more than a couple brands often isn’t a feasible option. Here are several lipsticks in my collection that stand out to me so that you know which to buy and which ones to avoid.

Best for Everyday Wear: MAC Lipstick in “Shhh”

$19 CDN – Available at MAC stores

For an all-around solid lipstick, you really can’t go wrong with a classic brand like MAC. Their lipsticks are fairly long lasting, have good colour payoff and come in a wide range of colours, so you’re sure to find your perfect shade.

For everyday use, I really love sheer pink-reds like the shade “Shhh”. The bright colour in the tube may look intimidating, but it’s not as noticeable as you may expect once applied to the lips. The colour is also slightly buildable, so it transitions well from a subtler shade during the day to a bold hue when going out at night.

Best Drugstore Pick: Revlon Super Lustrous in “Pink in the Afternoon”
$10 CDN – Available at Shoppers, Target and Wal-Mart

Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks share many similar traits with the MAC lipsticks, but are widely available for about half the price. My only complaint is that they tend to settle into fine lines, making dry lips look even drier. Using a primer or a lip balm underneath tends to help, though.

“Pink in the Afternoon” is a cute, cheerful shade that’s great for fairer complexions. Even if light pink isn’t your thing, it’s not difficult to find a flattering colour with so many shades in the Revlon line.

Most Moisturizing: Clinique Different Lipstick in “Raspberry Glacé”
$19 CDN – Available at The Bay and Sephora

It can be difficult to prevent your lips from drying out while walking to class in frigid Kingston winds. That’s why having an extra layer between your lips and the elements is often a good idea in the winter. I love the Clinique Different lipsticks not only for their pigmentation and colour selection, but also for their moisturizing properties — they’re super creamy and almost as hydrating as a lip balm, making them ideal for colder temperatures.

“Raspberry Glace” is a cool-toned berry shade that would likely be flattering on a wide range of complexions. It’s a deeper hue, but it’s not difficult to pull off, and is great for everyday wear.

Most Disappointing: Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in “Boy”
$39 CDN – Available at The Bay

When you hear the word “Chanel”, images of luxury likely come to mind. Unfortunately, the level of quality often associated with luxury products doesn’t seem to apply to their lipsticks. They’re not made for long wears, only lasting an hour or two, plus they’re very drying on my lips.

The shade “Boy” is a very wearable muted pink. It’s sheer and feels more like a light gloss than a lipstick. Though Chanel’s lipstick shades are pretty, there’s nothing else about them that a drugstore lipstick can’t do better. Definitely not worth the splurge.

With so many choices of lipsticks out there, it’s not always easy to find the one that fits your preferences and your budget. Shop wisely, and good luck finding your perfect product!

beauty review, Chanel, Clinique, lipstick, M.A.C, Revlon