Beat the heat with a bowl of gazpacho

Gazpacho, or cold tomato soup, is an easy-to-make recipe that’s perfect for the summer. Although the dish originated in Spain, there are slight variations of the recipe in countries around the world.

I decided to go with a quick and easy version of the recipe. It requires minimal ingredients that are cheap to purchase at any grocery store. The necessary cooking materials are present in most student kitchens.

Ingredients

• 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Combine the tomatoes, green onions, cucumber, bell pepper and water in a blender; blend until smooth. Add the vinegar and olive oil; blend again until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to serve.

Preparation time: 15 to 20 minutes

My biggest challenge making gazpacho was making sure that everything fit into my food processor without spilling over. Overall, this recipe is not all that difficult to make, which means it’s perfect for any student who’s tight on money and time. Plus, it’s also healthy and refreshing.

As delicious as gazpacho is, be forewarned—it’s not very filling. Some recipes recommend dipping bread or tortilla chips in it, which would make it a simple and satisfying snack on a hot summer day. Try it the next time you’re looking for something delicious during a heat wave, or if you find there’s an unexpected abundance of tomatoes.

Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-and-fresh-gazpacho/detail.aspx