QJBlogs In The Kitchen: Pumpkin Pie

By Trilby Goouch

Blogs Editor

A fall classic. Using pre-made pie shells saves time, and one can of pumpkin puree makes two pies at once, allowing you to indulge in your creation while giving one to friends or family. Go the extra mile and make the whipped cream from scratch-the fresh whipped cream made it a total hit!

Ingredients

• 2 9-inch frozen pie crusts

• 4 eggs

• 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree

• 2 cups packed brown sugar

• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

• 2 tsp. all-spice

• ½ tsp. salt

• 3/4 cup evaporated milk

Whipped cream topping:

• 1 cup whipping cream

• ¼ cup sugar

• 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 F and place the frozen pie crusts on cooking tray to thaw.

Beat eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Add cinnamon, allspice and salt.

Add Pumpkin puree

Blend thoroughly, then beat in milk and sugar.

Pour into pastry shells.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 F and bake until set, 20 to 30 minutes more. Chill before serving.

Go that extra mile with some homemade whipped cream!

To make the whipped cream, pour the whipping cream into a mixing bowl and blend, beginning on low and gradually increasing to high until frothy (approx. 2 minutes). Add sugar and vanilla and whip until it begins to form peaks. Transfer to serving bowl for immediate serving, or cover and refrigerate. If you aren’t using it immediately, you’ll want to give it a quick whip by hand when you take it out of the fridge.

My pie was a great success (based on my housemates’ praise); it was simple to make and a nice alternative to a traditional chocolate or vanilla cake. Pumpkin pie season is a short one, so savour this fall food and bake a few pies for your family and friends!