DIY Starbucks: Healthy Oat Fudge Bars

By Trilby Goouch
Blogs Editor

Oat fudge bars-any Starbucks regular will tell you that these squares are sweet, gooey and life-changing…and unfortunately packed with calories. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for indulging on occasion, but if the opportunity presents itself, I’d happily eat a few of these a week. I’m happy to say that this recipe makeover make these delicious bars totally guilt free-not only are they free of butter (the usual recipe calls for 1 cup), but the batter is sugar free (and yet you’d never know it). I didn’t have oat bran or flax seed (neither of which are standard pantry items), so I went to John’s grocery on Princess St. and got both for less than $3.00. The bars were a huge hit in my house and so easy to make. So without further ado, here is the recipe to these you’d-never-know-they’re-healthy Starbucks adapted oat fudge bars.

Wet ingredients
· 1 medium banana
· 2 tbsp coconut oil (you could use canola or an oil of choice…but this stuff is more buttery)
· 1/4 cup egg whites (or 1 egg)
· 4 tablespoons agave
· 1/4 teaspoon salt (salt joins the liquids because it dissolves

Dry Ingredients
· 1.5 cups rolled oats
· 1/2 cup spelt flour
· 1/2 cup oat bran
· 1/4 cup ground flax seeds

Chocolate middle:
1/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips

Instructions

· preheat oven to 350F
· Mash the banana in a large bowl; add other liquid ingredients into banana mixture
· Add dry ingredients, one quarter cup at a time, mixing until well blended

· Grease a 9 x 13 pan and spread a thin layer of batter
· Now make the chocolate layer and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly
· Cover chocolate layer with remaining oat mixture
· Sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top if you want it extra chocolatey
· Bake for approx. 15 minutes

Note: If you’re vegan, you can substitute the egg whites for ¼ cup of apple sauce!

Enjoy!