Hot cocoa peppermint float

A classic holiday-inspired drink has never seemed more adventurous. That’s right. I’m talking about the cocoa float. This drink is the perfect reward for exam studying or – better yet – holiday entertaining.

A hot cocoa float combines the best of both worlds: ice cream and cocoa. Think of this as a reinvented and refreshed take on an ice cream milkshake or the cooler older sister of the soda float.

If you’re looking to lounge back this holiday (oh wait, who isn’t?) then this drink is calling your name. This drink’s creamy rich texture will have you questioning the money you’ve been spending on all those Starbucks holiday drinks.

The best way to economize with this drink is to make a large batch and refrigerate the rest for easy reheating when you’re in the mood for a glorious chocolate pick-me up. Try doubling or tripling this recipe to ensure your chocolate cravings remain quenched.

I would also recommend investing in high-quality cocoa and dark chocolate, as it really makes a world of difference in taste and texture.

Serving:

Makes one serving

Ingredients:

• ¼ cup of sifted cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup of white sugar
  • 2 ounces of dark chocolate
  • ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1 cup of whole milk
  • 1 scoop of mint chocolate or peppermint bark ice cream

Instructions:

1. Combine cocoa, sugar, salt and dark chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.
  2. Heat stovetop and bring milk to a near boil. Remove from heat and let sit for one minute.
  3. Pour milk into bowl with dry ingredients and combine with whisk until all contents achieve an even consistency.
  4. Pour liquid mixture into cup for serving. Leave an inch or two of room for ice cream and whipped cream.
  5. Serve and enjoy right away!

Toppings are half the fun so channel your creative side and you’ll be singing hallelujah for the holidays. My all-time favourites would be a dollop of whipped cream, a classic drizzle of syrup or a generous dose of chocolate shavings.

Try crushing peppermint candy canes if you want to work up the presentation. The easiest way to grind these down is to bring out your mini food processor and crush three to four at a time to achieve a real holiday classic presentation.

Also feel free to change up the scoop of ice cream – maybe use classic vanilla or a rich chocolate brownie – depending on your mood.

While I used whole milk, feel free to use a healthier option. Though this will affect the thickness and creaminess of the drink, you can definitely tailor this with a health conscious dairy or non-dairy product.

I found this drink especially rich, chocolatey and thick. The coldness of the ice cream and the hotness of the cocoa provide an interesting contrast. I say add a little adventure to your life and try this contrasting temperature drink.

Soda floats may have their spotlight in their summer, but cocoa floats are definitely a star of the winter months.

chocolate, holiday drinks, hot cocoa, hot drinks, peppermint