Decadent caramel apple skillet cookie

You’ve tasted an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie before, but I can guarantee that you’ve never had one quite like this.

Please allow us the pleasure of introducing you to the wonders of the skillet cookie. However, this is no ordinary skillet cookie. We’ve put our baking skills (and our waistlines) on the line in order to bring to you the extraordinary and impossibly delicious oatmeal chocolate chip salted caramel and coffee apple skillet cookie.

It’s a mouthful in a lot of ways, but before you start drooling over your laptop, I’ll tell you how you can bring this wondrous skillet cookie to your own kitchen.

Ingredients

Cookie:

1 ¾ cups oats

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

¾ cup brown sugar

¾ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

¾ cup canola oil

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate chips

Salted coffee caramel:

1 cup black coffee

1 ¼ cup brown sugar

1 cup coconut milk (or heavy cream)

2 tbsp butter

¼ tsp salt

Garnish: 2 apples (the type is up to your discretion)

1 cup of toasted pecans

1 scoop of ice cream (only for the daring)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a large, oven-safe skillet with a bit of oil.

2. Begin by making the caramel sauce. Add brewed coffee and brown sugar in a medium sauce pot. Turn heat to high and boil for five minutes. Slowly whisk in the coconut milk and butter. Bring to a boil again, reduce heat to low and simmer for five to 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Set aside.

3. For the cookie dough, add oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, canola oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and combine until the dough holds together. Mix ¾ of the chocolate chips.

4. Put half of the batter into the prepared skillet and push the dough down as if you were making a pie crust. Then pour approximately one cup of the caramel sauce evenly onto the dough. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips onto the caramel sauce and then place the remaining half of the dough over the caramel.

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let the cookie sit for five minutes. Garnish top with thinly sliced apples, a good drizzle of the remaining caramel and the roasted pecans. If that is still not enough for you, feel free to put a scoop of ice cream on for the ultimate sugar high.

This recipe yields enough for 12 healthy slices, or one if you’re craving your own personal, pan-sized pizza cookie.

Apple, Cookie, dessert, Fall baking, recipe