Product Spotlight: Hair Treatments

By Trilby Goouch

Blogs Editor

Calling all hair product junkies: QJBlogs brings you standout hair products and tools that offer innovative treatments and functions. Get the look of just-straightened hair that lasts seven shampoos? Say goodbye to ponytail creases? Count us in!

Garnier Sleek and Shine Blow Dry Perfector: The two-step treatment promises sleek straight hair that lasts up to seven shampoos. The process consists of a 20-minute application of a “Smooth-It Serum” to damp, just-washed hair, followed by “Heat-Activated Perfect-It Cream”. Finish with blowdrying and flat ironing. The great thing about a product like this is its price ($9.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart) and it gives your hair a break from daily flat ironing.

L’Oreal Paris Ever Pure Non-Sulphate shampoo and conditioner: Most shampoos and conditioners contain sulphates, chemicals that are responsible for stripping the hair of its natural oils, polluting the environment and irritating the scalp. Sulphate-free shampoos are traditionally expensive since replacing the chemicals is more of a process, however L’Oreal now offers an affordable alternative.

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Controlled Lightening Spray: The first of its kind, the product works with heat to gradually lighten your hair; simply spray and apply heat via a hair dryer or flat iron. The greater the heat contact, the greater the effects. The spray’s patent-pending technology combines fixative and conditioning polymers that retain hydrogen peroxide, giving you lightened results in 3 to 5 uses. This is a great option for those of you looking to lighten your hair without the harsh dyes (or price-it costs a mere $9.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart) of getting your hair coloured. Also a great tool for creating an ombre effect!

Tangle Teezer: Promises to prevent tugs and pulls and works on wet or dry hair; it’s especially recommended for those with colour-treated hair, which is susceptible to breakage and dryness. ($9.99 on Amazon)

LUSH Caca Brun Mama: This cocoa-butter infused product delivers natural brunette colour; each individual hair is coated in henna, smoothing the cuticles and protecting it from damage. This is another great option for brunettes who want to avoid harsh dyes and are looking to deepen their natural colour. ($25.95 at LUSH)

Aveda Invati: The trio of products (shampoo, conditioner and scalp revitalizer) reduces hair loss by 33 per cent and are comprised of 97 per cent natural ingredients (price range from $24-$60); it’s one of the first of its kind to successfully prevent and treat hair loss.

Topstyler: A patent-pending curling system ($125.95)that uses ceramic “C-Shells” to curl hair quickly and without heat damage; the shells reach a low temperature of 200 degrees fareinheit and give the same degree of curl as a curling iron without the intense heat. Separate out a section of hair, wrap the section around one or two fingers (depending on how tight or loose you want your curls), and then clamp a shell over the coil. Once your hair is all rolled up, let the shells fully cool, remove and finish with hairspray

DIY Hair Chalk: If you’re looking for a pastel ombre look, you can use art store pastels at an affordable price (usually $3/pastel).

1. Dampen the hair where you would like the colors (don’t do this step if you’re blonde or the colour may stain your hair!)

2. Rub chalk on tips of hair, working up to create an ombre effect

3. For longer lasting colors, straighten or curl the hair using heat.

4. For chalking dry hair, wet the pastel chalks first and then rub on your hair.

Seamless Twistbands: Hair elastics that prevent kinks, breakage and snags. A solution to the dreaded ponytail crease! ($8)

Beauty, hair care, products, treatments