On Campus Eats: The Tea Room

By Trilby Goouch
Blogs Editor

The next time you’re looking for a quick bite to eat or cup of tea on campus, look no further than The Tea Room. Located in the ILC at Union St. and Division, this student-run, environmentally conscious on-campus cafe boasts a relaxing, student-friendly atmosphere that’s great for a coffee or a study date. The staff is friendly and efficient and the prices are fair.

The Food
For less than $7.00 (after tax!), The Tea Room boasts a wide variety of paninis and wraps that are made fresh and delivered daily. The turkey swiss panini is a popular choice, as is the avocado spring mix wrap and the chicken salsa wrap. They also have some salad options, including a quinoa salad perfect for those who are gluten free at a price of $3.33.

The Drinks
Teas: Orchid Oolang tea is my personal favourite, with a light vanilla flavour. There are lots of varieties of green and black loose-leaf teas.
Tea for two: You can order a teapot that serves 2 or 3 people; perfect for catching up with a friend.
Fog fusions: Take a tea of choice and the baristas will mix it with steamed milk, making a unique take on a traditional London Fog.
Lattes: Their latte was also voted best on campus!
Smoothies: Chocolate and banana are popular flavours.

Environmental aspect: The Tea Room boasts zero consumer waste. The coffee grinds go directly into a composter, the cups and cutlery are decomposable, and most of the food is locally sourced. The coffee is rainforest certified and fair trade as well. There is also a battery drop-off spot to help dispose of dead batteries in a safe way.