Dartmouth drubbing sets up weekend sweep with win at McGill

Lopsided wins against Ivy League school throws scare into McGill program

Eight-man Jim Aru eludes two Dartmouth defenders in a second team exhibition match Friday.
Eight-man Jim Aru eludes two Dartmouth defenders in a second team exhibition match Friday.
Matt Follwell

Queen’s rugby never suspected that news of their assailing of both Dartmouth teams in a Friday exhibition would travel to Montreal so quickly.

After handing a pair of embarrassing losses to both New Hampshire Ivy League squads, the Gaels arrived at McGill’s pitch on noon Saturday in hopes of laying two more beatings on the Redmen outfits.

Queen’s 76-84
Dartmouth 0-12

“Pissed off is an understatement,” said head coach Brad Greenwood of McGill’s unprofessionalism. The Redmen were missing in action for the 1 p.m. kickoff, and not until later that afternoon was the second team given the chance to beat up motley McGill crew 42-0.

“The times and dates were listed in the game programs, and were on the schedule at the (McGill) Phys. Ed centre. They had lost to Dartmouth, too, so that was probably a factor,” said a noticeably upset Greenwood.

No matter. The Gaels second team, who lost their OUA affiliation during off-season cutbacks, easily disposed of the amalgam squad. Eric Cuzzolino led the way for the Gaels, with a try, two converts and two penalty kicks.

The Gaels varsity team did not play because of the confusion.

“You can imagine — we showed up the night before, checked in to a hotel, and were out on the pitch warming up by noon. Well, we didn’t even start the game until 4 p.m.,” said Greenwood. “Plus, we counted 15 substitutions during the game from the McGill side, so it was possible for them to have fielded two teams. At least the wait motivated our guys to hand them a licking.”


The McGill players who played admitted afterward that Greenwood had spoken to the head coach over the phone that afternoon, to straighten out the situation, although the Redman boss never showed up at the pitch

John Carthy at eight-man led the way for the Gaels, leading the forwards around the field and delivering some punishing tackles, as well as opening up the field for the backs.

Queen’s 42
McGill 0

This on the heels of a twin slaughter of the Dartmouth rugby team — the first team blanked the Big Green varsity 76-0, while the seconds triumphed 84-12.

“Our guys played really well,” said Greenwood, “but we’re trying to keep the wins in perspective. Because they were trial games, it’s tough to let up because no one has a spot secured on the team yet, so we had guys playing hard all game.”

On deck for the Gaels is a road trip through the weekend, with a match in Carleton Wednesday, and then down to St. Catherines Saturday for a match against Brock University.

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.