See & be Scene

Check out a few upcoming concerts and shows this week in Kingston.

SHOWS IN KINGSTON THIS WEEK

Don’t miss the underdogs

If you’re heading out to see Bettablokka tonight at the Cocamo, make sure to get there early enough to check out the opening act The Golden Dogs. The Dogs have been impressing audiences across the country with their insanely energetic live show and their debut album was released to rave reviews.

They’re baaack ...

Echoing the NHL cable channel’s “Memorable Returns” week, Queen’s is celebrating its own homecomings with the triumphant return of both Bedouin Soundclash and The Jack Kerouac Knapsack Band. Bedouin plays Saturday night at the re-born Alfie’s and Kerouac plays The Scherzo on Monday night.

Last chance to see his Remains

Tuesday night will be the final show for Brian Borcherdt in his weekly residency this past month at Elixir. Sadly, attendance at his Tuesday night shows have been pretty poor, which is a crying shame because Brian’s latest record The Remains of Brian Borcherdt is a truly beautiful album. There are three other bands on the bill and it’s only $3!!!

Fire at Clark Hall Pub!

Montreal-based Arcade Fire drop into Clark Hall Pub Wednesday night. The Arcade Fire have been all the rage in every reputable music mag in the country. Prepare to be there early to line up for this show. There will be no advanced tickets sold and the hipsters will be out in full-force!

Spill your guts

It will be a celebration of Guelph’s Three Gut Records—one of the world’s best indie labels—when Jim Guthrie opens for the Constantines on Thursday night at the Elixir. Show up early to catch Guthrie’s lo-fi, spacey-basement pop before The Cons rock your ass.