Club Profile: Queen’s Climbing Club – “Rock On”

The sport of rock climbing is quickly gaining popularity as an exciting and unique way to keep fit and have fun.

The Queen’s Climbing Club provides climbing equipment, offers professional instruction and plans trips locally and across North America.

Membership costs $30.

Toby Stier, ArtSci ’06, is president of the Queen’s Climbing Club, and has participated with the club for three years.

Stier said climbing is safe and tests your courage and perseverance. He also climbs because it’s just plain fun.

“We’re big kids who never grew out of climbing trees,” he said. “Hanging out with friends in the Boiler Room and the Brew Pub is a big part of it, as are our hilarious road trips, campfires and parties.

“It’s never how hard you climb that matters but how much fun you have,” he said.

Rob Chisnall is the head instructor for the club, and a Queen’s alumnus who was a founding member of the QCC 25 years ago. Stier says Chisnall is still one of the club’s greatest supporters, donating hours of his time as a professional climbing instructor.

No previous climbing experience is necessary to become part of the QCC, Stier said.

“Absolute beginners are always encouraged to join our club,” he said. “Most of our hardcore members had never climbed before they joined the QCC, and we hope that anyone who thinks climbing might be fun will come out and try it with us.” Every reading week, the club takes a road trip through the southern United States for nine days of climbing in a warm climate, as Stier said, “Living the dream, dude, living the dream.”

INFO

President: Toby Stier

Club Email: RECClimb@goldengaels.com

Website: www.queensclimbing.ca

Goal: To make climbing accessible to students at Queen’s by providing professional instruction and opportunities to go on trips.