Campus Spotlight: Staged & Confused Productions

Staged and Confused is a production company started by second-year drama student, Michael Murphy. Murphy spoke with the Journal about the company and their future productions.

Staged and Confused Productions: Michael Murphy--founder

What is Staged and Confused?

A fledgling theatre company that has raised eyebrows around campus in the past year.

Who is Staged and Confused?

A bunch of students, headed by myself, who were unsatisfied with the opportunities for students to create relevant theatre.

When did it all begin?

In 2002, when we started mounting plays in Toronto. We try to do a couple of plays in both Toronto and Kingston each year. Most recently in Kingston we produced The Laramie Project. That really established us as a company to watch.

What is the company’s mission?

We don’t really restrict ourselves to doing a certain kind of show. We try and produce modern pieces that will appeal to a mainstream audience, while always maintaining the excitement for both the audience and the actors.

How do you decide which plays to produce?

We’ll all go out and read scripts that we’ve heard about then bring them back to the group, or we’ll just banter around some ideas and see what feels right for the direction we’re trying to take things in.

How do you select actors?

Usually we have open auditions, but for This Is Our Youth we decided to reunite three actors who had performed together in The Laramie Project and Queen’s Musical Theatre’s Gypsy. Their dynamic just seemed perfect for TIOY We are planning to hold an open call audition for our next two projects, which are coming up rather soon.

Tell me a little bit about “This Is Our Youth.”

Well, it’s a great show. In a recent London staging every teen celebrity wanted to do this play, Matt Damon, Anna Paquin, Hayden Christianson, Jake Gyllenhall and a bunch more actually made appearances. It’s been so popular because it’s so relevant to our times. It’s echoing with the youth of today who are just as disenfranchised with mainstream culture as the characters from the play are back in the 1980s.

What’s on the horizon for Staged and Confused?

We’re really excited about our 24 Hour Play Festival coming up on Oct. 23. Basically, four sets of playwrights, directors, and actors all have 24 hours to create four short plays, rehearse them and then perform them for one night only. And after that we’re gearing up production on Amadeus, our large show for the year. We’ll be looking for actors and a production team really soon.

“This is Our Youth” starring Emma Bailey, David Condren and Steve Schadinger, is playing at the Earl Street Theatre (KCVI @ Earl and Alfred) Sept. 29-Oct. 2 at 8:00 p.m. Check out stagedandconfused.com for more info.