Ex-AMS prez holds court at OUSA

Scott Courtice
Scott Courtice
Photo courtesy of Scott Courtice

A former AMS President has been appointed executive director of the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA).

Scott Courtice, ArtSci ’02, headed the AMS in 2001-2002.

Students voted in favour of the AMS rejoining the external student lobby group in last year’s winter referendum. Queen’s, a founding member, withdrew in 1995.

“I want OUSA to continue producing effective policies and ensure that we continue to have a seat at the table with government and other post-secondary stakeholders,” Courtice told the Journal. “One of the values of OUSA is we have very effective relationships with key decision makers.”

As executive director, Courtice is responsible for managing the organization’s day-to-day operations. He also serves as OUSA’s chief spokesperson, representing its seven member schools when addressing politicians at all levels of government.

Courtice said the biggest outstanding issue OUSA will face this year is tuition, and whether it will increase or remain frozen.

He also said he has specific interest in stressing the importance of the arts at university.

“Universities are not only centers for research and innovation, but also magnets for culture,” he said.

During his time at the University, Courtice was also AMS commissioner of internal affairs. As AMS president, he established an initiative joining entrepreneurial students with local businesses. He also worked with the administration to start developing the Queen’s Centre.

Courtice said he’s happy Queen’s has rejoined OUSA.

“It looks like Queen’s will become a stable member,” he said.

In the year Courtice was president, the results from a spring referendum to rejoin OUSA were found invalid. At that time, students voted 50.1 per cent against rejoining.

Courtice replaces former OUSA executive director Adam Spence.