Fun & games without a fake ID

Rosel thinks underage frosh should pay a visit to the smoky, crowded and sweaty dance floor at Stages all-ages nights.
There’s lots of fun to be had in Frosh Week, and not just for people who love slamming jackets.
Emily MacLaurin-King

allow me to explain

Dear Incoming Frosh,

Yes, your first year of university is stretching before you. And heck yes, it is going to be an adventure and three-quarters you will never forget. Freedom! Academia! Romance! It’ll all be there for you to enjoy and breathe in.

Yes, I can hear you doubters in the corner, crying, “but Kingston is so small!” or “but I’m still underage!” But before you skeptics flock down to the illegal road and cough up those bucks for a fake ID, allow me to explain the delicate art of having a truly terrific first year that will leave all your non-Queen’s friends jealously listening to your every story.

And don’t you worry; I’m not here to recommend yoga classes or band clinics—although I do enjoy them both, personally. No, I’ve got a more eclectic set of suggestions for you.

One. All-Ages Nights.

All-ages nights can be summed up in three words: Hormones, and more hormones. Once you add alcohol, repetitive hip-hop beats and sixteen-year-olds, you’ve got the complete picture of a typical Thursday or Friday night at well-known clubs called Cocamo (which is lovingly dubbed the “Poke-a-ho”) and Stages.

Once you dress up in your barely-there skirt and a piece of fabric to cover your naughty bits—or, in the male equivalent, a Gino shirt and faded jeans—you can head over to the smoky, crowded, sweaty place called the dance floor, where you will proceed to grind! grind! and GRIND! your night away with random strangers.

If this sounds appealing to you, congratulations: there’s lots of dance-fever fun to be had in Kingston. If not, read on.

Two. Embrace your spontaneous and slightly illogical self.

It’s okay if it makes no sense to start a snowball fight in minus-30 degree weather with no jacket on and an exam looming large on the horizon—once in a while. It’s okay if you want to walk all the way downtown to eat a warm slice of pizza at 2 a.m., and somebody is awake enough—and adventurous enough—to accompany you.

As the clichéd saying goes, “life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.” Your best memories will be of the things that just kind of happened one night, rather than what was supposed to happen.

It really is okay to join that Monty Python club, share your secret obsession of 3D animation, and have a hair-raising nerd moment while discussing Star Trek; we all have our buried passions we’ve been dying to exercise, and this is your best possible chance.

And when you do express your spontaneous and slightly illogical self, keep me posted, and I will make you famous. Or I’ll try my best, at least!

Three. Restaurants

Welcome to Kingston, the city that boasts such prestigious titles as “The Greatest Amount of Restaurants Per Capita.” Should you decide to take advantage of such statistics, you will have no problem becoming the arbiter of good food taste by the end of your first year.

Because caf food is going to be vile no matter how much they try to fool you, I encourage regular adventures out into the food world of downtown Kingston.

These are, of course, only three out of many suggestions—the beauty of first year is that anything and everything is game.

And when you do express your spontaneous and slightly illogical self, keep me posted.

Frosh week info

Frosh week is the best time to get out there and meet people, learn about great opportunities to get involved in university life and in the Kingston community. It’s also a lot of fun.

From social activities, to academic orientation events, to charity fundraisers—frosh week has a little something for everyone.

Activities depend on the faculty or orientation week program. Residence activities are very low key—a movie night in Leonard field, a coffee house, and a community fair, just to name a few. Some of the faculty orientation activities inlcude Frosh Olympics, carnival games, frosh night out, semi-formals and banquets, mystery road trips, academic orientation events and introductions to Queen’s profs, the annual sidewalk sale on University Avenue and the mystery Frosh concert on the Friday night.

For more information, please go to the Orientation website (should be up and running soon) at www.myams.org/orientation/. For information during Frosh Week itself, feel free to drop by the Frosh Week INFOPLACE, in the lower ceilidh of the JDUC or call the Orientation Hotline at 533-6293.

—Compiled by the Orientation Roundtable Alternative frosh week info

Alternative frosh week info

Alternative frosh week offers first-year students precisely that: an alternative.

Organized by OPIRG and the AMS Social Issues Commission, the week offers events by the Women’s Issues Committee, Accessibilty Queen’s, Campus Crusade for Christ and the Education of Queer Issues Project (EQuIP)’s Queerientation.

Where the faculty society events facilitated by the Orientation Roundtable bring together students of the same faculty, Alternative Frosh Week brings together students of similar interests and interest groups.

Students with any questions can e-mail Social Issues Commissioner Jennifer Holub at siccom@ams.queensu.ca or OPIRG-Kingston Coordinator Tracey Taylor at opirgkin@web.net.

—Source: Jennifer Holub

Words of Wisdom

Christopher F. Zabaneh
President, Engineering Society
Program/Year: Sci ’05, ArtSci ’06

Where did you live in first year? Waldron Tower—right next to the hospital and the cancer ward.

Best part of first year: I had a great don and a wonderful floor. We got along really well and I feel that I have gained some wonderful lifelong friends from the experience.

Worst part of first year: Adjusting to the university lifestyle was more difficult than I had anticipated. It took a long time for me to learn how to structure my days effectively now that I was on my own.

Advice for incoming frosh: Exercise, socialize and don’t be afraid to break free from the high
school mould.

Regrets: Don’t eat Rez Food before your exams—there’s nothing worse than writing an APSC 112 final exam with food poisoning.

Jenn Hirano
VP (Operations), AMS

Program/Year: Comm ’06

Where did you live in first year? West Campus! (Angus 210)

Best part of first year: Downtown Kingston—especially the Market and the Waterfront.

Worst part of first year: Getting braces at 19.

Advice for incoming frosh: Use AMS services, and recycle.

Regrets: Avoid floor-cest.